Childhood books that introduced you to new foods

Yes!

And I wonder if I was checking out that young man to the far left.

JK!

1 Like

I’ve been reading the Dragons Love Tacos books with my nephew. And we have tacos every time.

1 Like

:taco: :dragon_face: !!!

2 Likes

Yum! Free venison, falcon killed rabbits, dandelion greens!!! That book probably inspired my lifelong love of the outdoors, camping and eating well off a campfire.

3 Likes

Check this out!

Apparently my young nephew has been inspired to try ramen after reading this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1499807031/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_131QFbE6JJMWT

2 Likes

In a similar vein:

2 Likes

I also read all the Nancy Drew books, and I don’t remember any of the food either! But I really enjoyed all of them.

1 Like

The Little House on the Prairie series, Heidi, and the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls, which I perused all the time, but never cooked out of it

1 Like

I was too, but I don’t remember the food scenes. On another note, my dad died recently and I was able to sell his condo in NYC. Going through all the stuff - 53 years worth in that place - I found that my mother had saved a bunch of my Nancy Drew books. I wonder if they are worth anything today.

2 Likes

Wow! Sorry for your loss, but how cool is that! I’m curious about which editions, and would love to see pictures!

1 Like

Here you go

2 Likes

A few of your dust jackets have cream/white spines. Compare them to these eBay auctions. Pay close attention to the Judy Bolton & Dana Girls points the sellers list. I’m not a ND expert by any means but I do know that identifying first editions and early reprints in this particular series can be tricky.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=nancy+drew+first+editions&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313&_sop=16&_osacat=0&_odkw=the+mystery+of+the+ivory+charm

1 Like

Thanks! I just saw one of the books had the price sticker in it. Bought at S. Klein for 62 cents!

1 Like

They look so familiar!

1 Like

Old friends

1 Like

Those covers bring back memories!

1 Like

I’m an elementary school librarian, and you’ll be happy to know that My Side of the Mountain is still super popular!

4 Likes

You Shouldn’t Have To Say Goodbye introduced me to the Reuben sandwich. Early in the book, the teen lead is in a blah mood, and her mom tells her to make a Reuben as she just bought all the ingredients. She explains the ingredients, and as a young teen who had never had a Reuben before, it sounded delicious. Still one of my favorite sandwiches.

2 Likes

I realize why I didn’t notice food descriptions in books. I was a very picky eater - barely ate anything so I guess that didn’t interest me. I’ve changed!

2 Likes