Chick-fil-A ........You're not welcome here.

https://www.nieciesrestaurant.com/

This is a soul food joint…

Just interesting to me that the politics are responsible.
Folks in the USA eat there because they like the offerings, not the pro or anti gay stuff, at least in my mind.
I asked about soul food because fried chicken places, bbq, and soul food are all of a similar ilk in this neck of the woods.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. It helps me confirm that a restaurant like that would be rare in the UK. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anywhere local that would have that sort of mix of dishes (or even their British equivalent).

Gotcha. I no longer eat Heinz products due to politics.

1 Like

I drove by the local one the other day and instead of the normal two lanes wrapped around the building they opened a third staffed by employees in the seemingly perpetual 90 plus degree Houston heat even in October. They really care about customer service.

Before anybody goes climate change on me it’s been like this all 60 years of my life.

2 Likes

We use to go to a Dallas area mall probably 35 years ago. People were always knee deep at the CFL counter. Even back then. They have a loyal following. I tried their chicken sandwich for the first time a few years ago. It was good but nothing I’d make a beeline back for.

And while CFL is certainly in no need of a Gofundme page. Here in the US it would probably go off the charts if they were. Case in point this pizza place. Sometimes a backlash has the opposite effect.

2 Likes

Did you see Governor Chris Christie out there? :laughing:

2 Likes

Business opportunity to pursue!
Everyone needs pig ear sandwiches.

2 Likes

846k?? That is a nice pay day! Tax free too

3 Likes

He certainly was there.

Word on the street was he’s trying to establish citizenship in the Republic of Texas and become king for when we leave the union taking with us much of the refining capacity and virtually all of the petrochemicals.

You, CJ are of course welcome and bring Bob with you so y’all don’t freeze in the dark.

The Wifeacita can sleep on the floor.

Breaking news, I’ve been given medical clearance to resume fishing so it’s me and the waders, some spoons, soft plastics and a topwater in the literally pristine waters of Christmas Bay near Surfside, TX. Inquiring minds will be updated.

1 Like

Part of the problem was that the young lady/co-owner was waylaid by a reporter and totally unprepared for the question. An unassuming human being who was then put in the public eye with bad Yelp reviews, death threats and out on the Twitter world. Think a lot of people felt sorry for her. Myself included. I followed the story for days. But 846K? Well, they retired well🙂

Prior to a change of outward policy the CEO of Chick-Fil-a was very public about his opinion of gay marriage. Until 2012 the company donated lots of money to anti causes. He’s certainly free to have his own beliefs, but I’m also free to decide whether or not I want to help find his actions. Apparently the company has toned that down over the past several years (if Google is right). Me? I still don’t feel comfortable rewarding him.

3 Likes

You do you! And thank god we are still a free country here in the USA.

1 Like

Soul food, at least African American soul food does not have sufficient representation here, which is sad.

But diners that combined usual items (fry ups) with comforting foods from home are certainly around (like a burger and chicken adobo place down the road from me and another that is definitely diner plus south Asian). And while African and Caribbean food is available, not by was of US). But fried chicken fits into many of the fast food places that are halal.

I’m just blethering though.

2 Likes

I don’t think Chik-Fil-A is so starved for publicity in the US that it benefits or suffers from the U.K. situation.

However, I doubt any potential franchise owner will read this story and think: hey, this looks like a sound and trouble free investment. I suppose there could be some anti- gay activists here who feel their options for restaurants actively campaigning against the rights of others are too few and the friend chicken places that don’t offer that special seasoning aren’t just holding up, and as such do something to make a Chik-Fil-A a reality in the U.K.
But otherwise I’m not sure what ‘publicity’ would do that’s good in this case, no matter the case.

It will remind Americans who don’t care if their money goes to ensuring the second class status of people that there is a chicken place out there. So if they didn’t know about it, they do now.

The intersections of publicity and activism are interesting to follow and not as simple as suggested by the maxim ‘All publicity is good publicity’.

2 Likes

Do I detect some anti-American bias here?

My father spent 1944-45 flying from England bombing Germany putting his life on the line so your country and ours can enjoy freedom.

I had a boss at work who is gay and loved CFA and he gave us gift cards for Christmas every year. He was not political nor was another gay co-worker who didn’t know they weren’t supposed to eat there.

I have many fond memories of the years I worked with them.

3 Likes

I suppose that’s the point I didn’t do a very good job of explaining.
In America, people love their food and the politics are a peripheral issue.
It sounds like over there it is/was a gay chicken thing, not a deliciousness thing. Which is kinda sad.

1 Like

I’d suggest this is nonsense.

In the UK, we know about this company’s policies , only because of the opposition and protests in your country.

That’s a very pro-American bias we have over here.

3 Likes

Not to me, they aren’t. Or plenty of other Americans I know. In America. Where I am.

3 Likes

That implies that everyone who patronizes them is consciously anti-gay. I don’t believe that.
We don’t even have one to boycott yet. We’re really the outback.

1 Like