[Chiang Rai, Thailand] - Nam Ngiaw (น้ำเงี้ยว)@ Pa Suk

If we are talking noodle dishes in Chiang Mai then Khao Soi is definitely king. Further north around 3 hours from Chiang Mai is Chiang Rai and things are a little different.

You can get Khao Soi in Chiang Rai but the local favourite is the lesser known but equally tasty Nam Ngiaw (น้ำเงี้ยว).

The most common form of this dish is a rich tomato and pork broth with plenty of chillies and cubes of blood.The most common alternative is made with beef. This rice noodles are used and fresh bean sprouts on the side provide crunch and you also get lime wedges to squeeze in to add zing.

Nam Ngiao Pa Suk or just Pa Suk to the locals was recommended to me by the owner of my guesthouse. It has been going for 80 years and is obviously a fond favourite given the crowd of locals gathered round the place. I put my name down on the list and waited for a table to open up, after 20 mins. I was up.

Where all the action is.

Sweet minced pork in a slightly tart broth fiery with chillies. The texture on the blood cubes was excellent still a bit of bite.

Bean sprouts add a nice crunch.

2017-11-11-16-44-32
Pickled mustard greens. One of my favourite additions to food. Always nice to see them on the table.

Nam Ngiao Pa Suk
197 Sankhongnoi Rd, อำเภอเมือง Amphoe Mueang Chiang Rai, Chang Wat Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand
+66 53 752 471
Opening hours 09:00 to 15:00

https://goo.gl/maps/ryyT4KgFwcS2

5 Likes