[Chiang Rai, Thailand] -2 excellent stalls, sausage + ice cream

Given Chiang Rai’s much smaller size than the much better known Chiang Mai, good food is harder to find but there are still gems if you know where to look.

Northern Thai sausage stall.

This is near the clock tower outside a shop. It has no name but churns out rings of Thai sausage all day. It’s next to At Home Cafe. Sausage stalls are everywhere in Northern Thailand and I have eaten a fair few examples but these were my favourite by far. Good casing and a soft and not too dense pork filling with a good amount of fat to keep it moist. They’re not shy with the chilli and the lemongrass is very pronounced which I very much liked.

Address

Thanon Baanpa Pragarn Rd, Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand

Mango Sticky rice stall, Night Bazaar.

Mango sticky rice stalls are 10 a penny in Thailand and sometimes you will get stalls that make mango and sticky rice with coconut ice cream. This stall in the Chiang Rai Night Bazaar is a cut above. The stall is near the food court area. Like many food courts in tourist centres the food served is somewhat mediocre. However the queue at this stall attest to it’s quality. They do serve just mango and sticky rice but the thing to get is their best seller. It’s 2 scoops of mango ice cream and one of coconut (both smooth and delicious) served with sticky rice and nice ripe pieces of mango. If this wasn’t enough their are cubes of young coconut which taste like they have been soaked in lychee syrup.

Stall

Address

Wiang, Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand

7 Likes

Amazing food finds, Chris. Those sausages look scrumptious.