[Chiang Mai, Thailand] Cantonese-style Congee at Jok Sompet

Jok Sompet is pretty popular among local Chiang Mai residents for their gluey, Cantonese-style congee - stickier than similar versions found in Hong Kong, albeit a very tasty rendition here. Ask for a raw egg to be added into the scalding hot congee prior to serving - to be coddled - for added richness and flavour.

There are various types of congee available: pork, chicken, fish, shrimp, even vegetarian. The best seller is the pork version, especially the one which also included pig’s organs (liver, kidney, stomach, intestines) - which was what I ordered.
Each serving of congee comes with crisp-fried vermicelli on top, to be stirred in for an added textural contrast:

Jok Sompet also offers a selection of Cantonese dim sum (Thai renditions which were, unfortunately, not very good ones).

The eatery is busy and bustling round the clock as it’s a 24-hour joint.

Address
Jok Sompet
Si Phum, Mueang Chiang Mai District
Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Tel: +66 53 210 649
Operating time: 24 hours

4 Likes

Stickier? use of sticky rice?

No, I think some of the rice grains may have been ground to a powder before cooking, making the overall rice gruel very paste-like.

2 Likes

Most CM residents probably know about Jok Sompet. It’s about as good as we can get for congee and dim sum, but for tourists it’s not worth going out of their way for.

1 Like

I agree - it’s quite a bit of a way from the Old Town, which is popular with the tourists.