Chef Floyd Cardoz, RIP

I’m devastated. I knew Floyd, having interviewed him for an article I wrote 10+ years ago. I started going to Tabla, got to know him a bit, and had one of my most favorite meals ever at the chef’s ‘bar’ at North End Grill with my parents, followed by a trip up to the roof with Floyd to see his beautiful urban garden. I’ve continued to say he is one of THE kindest, loveliest people I’ve ever met.

P.S. I put this on the NJ board because he was from NJ, although he was known worldwide.

14 Likes

I remember him from Top Chef. Came across as a good guy, and good chef.

3 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread. I’d heard the terrible news myself this morning and had been thinking of posting somewhere on HO.

I knew him slightly. We’d gone to the same college in Bombay (as it was called then), although he was slightly younger than me and our paths did not cross at the time. I’d had many enjoyable meals at Tabla and had particularly enjoyed his deconstructed version of pork vindaloo. We’d exchanged emails on what a “proper” vindaloo ought to be (fatty meat such as pork or duck, with garlic and palm vinegar). Later, I ate a few times at Paowalla and Bombay Bread Bar, and he’d stop by our table to chat. I’d had a reservation at the NYC O Pedro pop-up three weeks ago which I had to cancel (thinking at the time that I’d try again in late March).

As others had said, he was a gentle man, and knew a lot about food. David Chang has a nice tribute to him today:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that…

Dang I literally just watched the Ugly Delicious episode with him the other day. RIP chef.

4 Likes

So very sad to hear this news…

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold