Cheeses and other dairy for cooking

Always at least one of these cremas

Maybe a crema agria next time!

Asiago for husband, Parmigiano Reggiano, “Israeli feta” , and something melty, often Monterey Jack, or sharp cheddar, or gruyere; it varies. Also, often a blue cheese, usually of a Point Reyes persuasion.

And butter

4 Likes

Tillamook always has mild cheddar.

3 Likes

Brillat Savarin, anyone? And no one’s mentioned Fontina?

The “in the fridge” part is important–Cougar Gold, despite being canned, is not shelf-stable. Not doing so can be an expensive mistake.

You should make a pilgrimmage to Ferdinand’s on the WSU campus for the cheeses and milkshakes.

1 Like

Brillat -Savarin from time to time for eating but not for cooking. In what do you use it? I never met a triple creme I didn’t like.

I just read an article earlier this week about fun features at US airports and the canned cheese vending machine at Pullman-Moscow airport was mentioned. The concept of canned cheese was news-to-me…obviously I’ve been missing out!

1 Like

GAH! How could I have forgotten about Kraft Singles? Yes, I always have them in my fridge. As @ewsflash 's husband said, I was raised on them as well.

2 Likes

Yep. It is the correct cheese for any type of burger short of a pub style burger or a patty melt IMO. Horrifying, but the reduced fat singles are pretty good, too.

4 Likes

Exactly. Although Swiss and Monterey Jack are also good, depending on the rest of the toppings for my boigah.

But they’re my go-to for grilled cheese sandwiches. ALWAYS.

Dammit. Now I want a grilled cheese.

4 Likes

Dunno. Wegmans makes a nice sharp American that melts well and is closer to cheddar (which I prefer on a cheeborger over Kraft slices).

2 Likes

Anything calling for Mascarpone should work. I like adding B-S to grilled cheese sandwiches and–sparingly–in omelets. I don’t have a lot of it left over, frankly.

2 Likes

I’m going there tomorrow. Is this pre-packaged or sliced to order at their deli OR in their cheese counter area? (SO MUCH CHEESE, SO LITTLE TIME!)

1 Like

Sliced to order, but they often have it already sliced and packaged at the deli counter. It’s lovely on roast beast sammiches, too!

1 Like

My list is fairly similar to yours. I used to do a 2:1 parm/romano grate for topping salads and if anyone wanted shreds atop pasta, and lately (last few years) this is a 2:1:1 parm/romano/asiago. Same as you with the cotija, it’s a great crumbling cheese.

I like to use a mix of fontina and Monterrey Jack shredded into various casseroles, and also use them with mozz shredded into stuff like baked ziti or lasagna rather than just using ricotta and mozz alone.

Both store-bought (always) and home-made (when I get the urge) sour cream and crema. Buttermilk I get only for specific recipes and for making sour cream. So one of my most frequent wastes is tossing sometimes as much as half the buttermilk container; even if I’ve made both buttermilk biscuits or pancakes and sour some cream, I rarely get through a whole quart.

I keep several pre-shreds on hand but these are mainly now used when the kids visit for their breakfast tacos or quesadillas.

Always have ghee plus separately I save all the toasted milk solids from the ghee making to a small container with a bit of the ghee covering the solids - these are good for a nice savory addition to eggs and other stuff.

I’ve got one daughter who is gluten free and sort of vegetarian (she will eat dairy, and shrimp) and she comes home about twice a month, so I make paneer the day before she gets here to make paneer curries. Otherwise, I don’t usually make paneer for just my wife and me, unless she gets a hankering for butter paneer (identical to butter chicken, just with paneer).

Chunk whole milk mozz and fresh mozz nearly always in the fridge for pizzas and (much more rarely) caprese salad.

Same here. Most of the extras are just for slicing and eating, though, rather than for cooking. My wife says I over-buy, and I guess I do, but it’s hard to pass up good deals. And it’s rare that any will be thrown out (sometimes I do have to trim a bit of surface mold), because 3 of the 4 kids visit pretty regularly and they’re all cheese hounds. And 2 of them don’t have great grocery options nearby so they’re often grabbing an unopened package on the way out the door heading back home.

My wife got me these nifty fridge organizers and I’ve got 3 of them in there for the 35 different kinds of cheese.

6 Likes

So one of my most frequent wastes is tossing sometimes as much as half the buttermilk container

31XM2rQNPNL.QL70_FMwebp

Have you tried the dried cultured blend? Is that daury for cooking? I always have some of that.

4 Likes

Try a grilled cheese smeared with mayonnaise before grilling and filled with Tillamook rustic Mexican blend. It piles nicely and melts beautifully.

4 Likes

Agreed… Safeway’s deli brand (Primo-Taglio) has a mild white and sharper yellow American that is more substantial as it melts, and has more flavor. They usually have it sliced daily in half pound ziploc bags for about 5 bucks. It is my go to for cheeseburgers.

3 Likes

I have a can; haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Sunshine is the same way, if grilled cheese enters her mind… she wants one.
I picked up a panini maker at Goodwill to make quick work of preparing one. I’ll throw on some ham or whatever I have in the fridge to “fancy it up”.
I was really surprised how easy it is to clean this particular (Bella) panini maker. I can’t speak for all of them, but this one heats up quick, makes a beautiful end product and puts a smile on Sunshine’s face.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that I even knew that existed. I’ll have to look and see if they have it around here. I do get dry milk powder for sausage making, so hopefully they carry this around here, too.

Can it be used for making soured cream? Or is it just for pancakes/biscuits etc.?

1 Like