Chat- experimental feature

You may have noticed there is a new icon next to the search icon on the top right corner of your screen. This is an experimental chat feature that was enabled yesterday night. This is a real-time chat app with all your fellow users.

Not sure if its useful or whether this should be kept. You can certainly play with it to see if it is useful to you.

Is there a way to block it? I think there should be a way to get messages only if you approve getting them.

No. You can just ignore and don’t click on the icon.

Regarding your point, anyone can send each other private message regardless whether the other person approves receiving private messages from others. So chat operates the same way.

Ignoring a message is too much responsibility. :smiley:
We definitely should keep the chat function. Not sure if we need to tweak it, but it is definitely worth to keep.

1 Like

I would just ask everyone to please not send inane messages. If people send only messages that are substantive and specifically intended for me, I’ll be happy to read them. Otherwise, I’m likely to ignore all messages.

That’s what the PM function is for. The chat feature… nobody knows.

How do you send a PM?

Click on the user’s name & hit the msg symbol - et voilá. Or click on your own avatar in the right top corner, where you can also get to msgs.

The chat function is to communicate with everyone at one time. As its name implies, it is for “chat”.

Will it be possible to make it more like a typical chat room function?

Not sure if it is feasible.

For example, users only get the new chat messages during the time they are logged on. All the chat messages occurred when they are logged off will not be saved or recorded. Just like Live Chat. I only get to read whatever is going on when I am in the chat room.

I assume the chat function is most useful for people who need to instantly to contact everyone online. So it won’t be necessary to save days-old or even hours-old chat messages for someone who were not online.

Yeah, no duh.

I just don’t really see the point in being able to “communicate with everyone at the same time”, nor can I imagine a scenario where that ‘need’ would ever arise. I think it’s useless and silly.

Maybe you don’t see a point, but I think it is useful.

Right. That’s what so great about sites like these. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

1 Like

With everyone at one time? No wonder there have been a bunch of inane posts…

1 Like

The chat feature is actually kinda buggy and affects some other stuff. I will probably wait for the person who wrote this to iron out the kinks first. So I just disabled it.

oh geez, you spelled it correctly. Not vwala or wah la.

I heart you.

2 Likes

Nearly there :wink: , should be à - ’ voilà ’

Á, á (a-acute) is a letter of the Czech, Faroese, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Sámi and Slovak languages. This letter also appears in Dutch, Galician, Lakota, Navajo, Occitan, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Welsh as a variant of the letter “a”. (wikipedia)

1 Like

Oops. Guess the shift key didn’t stick :stuck_out_tongue:

I was so thrilled to find someone who actually got the correct letters in the correct order that I wasn’t going to get tripped up on the direction of the accent…

1 Like