Charleston, West Virginia

We’ll be doing one of our 10k state capital walks here on the way to KY. Where to eat in Charleston or on the way from DC. Extra points for any local specialties.

Or Huntington WV.

We were in Charleston last weekend. Had very different, but both excellent, experiences at Revival (fine dining–get the grilled king oyster mushrooms, mainly for the risotto they come with, stunning) and Hannibal’s Kitchen (local soul food–get the crab and shrimp rice, fabulous!!!). We also ate at Chubby Fish, which was very good although very noisy and doesn’t take reservations–we got there just before 9 PM on a Saturday night and waited about 20 minutes for a table. We had pasta with clams there and a smoked mackerel Thai curry, plus bread (the bread alone was $8).

We had lunch at Rodney Scott Whole Hog BBQ, which was pretty disappointing. The food was astonishingly expensive for what we got–a single platter containing four ribs, about 4 oz of pulled pork, mac & cheese and collards, and a slice of white bread set us back $46 including tip, and that was for counter service. The pulled pork was just OK and the ribs, though tasty, were quite chewy–not even close to the falling-off-the-bone level that I would expect. The sides were good, I’ll give them that.

2 Likes

travelmad478, your report on Rodney Scott’s is very disappointing. I’ve been worried about his rapid expansion under the tutelage of Nick Pihakis of Jim 'n Nick’s. Jim 'n Nick’s started out as a very good barbecue place, but has since become mediocre. I’m afraid the same thing may happened to another rapid expander, Martin’s out of Nashville. I enjoyed Home Team in the West Ashley area of Charleston, and I’ve heard good things about Swig and Swine. And, of course, for a day trip go to the original Scott’s in Hemingway. It’s magical on several levels. See https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/29/scotts-bar-b-que-hemingway-south-carolina/ IT really should be a UNESCO world heriitage site

I took a look at your blog and saw a lot of stuff in AL, but sadly, not the part I’ll be traveling through next month. Any recs for a Friday lunch not far off I-85 in the Montgomery/Tuskegee/Auburn corridor? Fat Man’s in Montgomery has the best Google rating. Contraband near Tuskegee looks great but that would be a fairly substantial detour. Byron’s Smokehouse in Auburn?

1 Like

Martin’s is a good meat and three just a mile or 2 south of 85 in Cloverdale.

In Auburn, Byron’s, Chuck’s, and Bow and Arrow all have good reputations, but I have no recent experience there

Thanks!

WE completed our walks and had a good lunch at the Adelphia in Charleston,. On the way home, we stayed in Morgantown WV. If you ever go there, stay at the Courtyard/Marriott. Amazing view and a well run hotel. And have dinner at Table 9 by the river in Morgantown. Details for each are on my blog. I’m about to run out for dinner now.

2 Likes