Chandavkl says Dragon Beaux in SF is the leader for innovative dim sum in the US.

Not just there, but even in Hong Kong. Rarely do I see dim sums with the addition of expensive ingredients taste better, let alone much better, than the ‘ordinary’ versions.

1 Like

Agree with this, however, as a lobster fan the lobster har gow has my attention.

I tend to agree.

I wonder if this is because the traditional style graved in the mind.

What if a young person, never tasted the traditional dumpling, has one with truffle. Maybe the sensation would be different. I don’t know.

I think its not that one cannot come up with a fantastic piece of dimsum with expensive ingredients. But rather traditional, ‘standard’ dim sums have been refined so much over the years since everybody is making them that by themselves, if done well, they are already good.

2 Likes

It’s fairly simple Gents…use generally best ingredients like Kurobuta pork, Rose brand flour, hand made not machine pressed and fresh not frozen…then worth 2-3X regular prices because you can truly taste the difference. Now how many of you know that to true here…just look at them and taste…as you all are pretty savvy good people!

1 Like

Same here. I like innovative dim sum. Afterall, even the traditional dishes were new and innovative at one point. Mistakes are also part of growth too. So in order to accept successful innovative dishes, we also have to accept the fact that there will be unsuccessful new dishes. Let’s face the facts, most are NOT successful - which is why not every new dish/recipe get passed down in history.

That being said and all, a well executed traditional dish is extremely satisfying. I enjoy new interesting dishes from Koi Palace (and other dim sum places too). However, on average,… I like their traditional dishes.

I just came back from New Orleans. I have had many great cajun and creole meals. Some are traditional and some are innovative. All and all, a well executed red bean and rice is still better (to me) than an innovative version of the same dish.

A well made good old chocolate chip cookie is definitely something to remember.

3 Likes