Celebratory lunch in Boston/Cambridge/metrowest

No I have not and this reminds me it has been FAR too long since I have been to Oleana.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to hear your opinion. Itā€™s a mixed bag ā€“ a mix of the very sweet and the not-so, so you have to be judicious in your spoonfuls. On balance we love it, and we get it almost every time ā€“ but since weā€™re frequent eaters there, thereā€™s nothing we get every time. [Oh, OK, except for the deviled eggs and the Sultanā€™s Delight (which has traveled, in differing forms, with Ana Sortun since her Casablanca days).]

4 Likes

I need to just make an Oleana reservation NOW for three months out or whenever itā€™s possible. We recently watched a Great British Baking Show episode with Baked Alaska, although they called it something else like Alaska Tart, and my kids would go nuts to actually try a version. Thanks for the prompt.

2 Likes

I think I first had Ana Sortunā€™s food at a place in Concord, and then a place on Holyoke St. in Cambridge called 8 Holyoke, before it became Sandrine. Not sure what it is now. Before CasaB, well before Oleana, which we first visited soon after it finally openedā€¦ I eat beef only a few times a year. Iā€™ve always loved the Sultanā€™s delight and the deviled eggs, and we always get both. Only got the Baked Alaska once! We also love the spinach falafel and fried mussels. And the breads. I think Iā€™m going to ask for Oleana for my birthday in August.

7 Likes

This link and the photograph in it has been posted before on food groups ā€“ certainly on CH, and possibly on HO ā€“ but it never grows old:

2 Likes

Wow, I remember seeing that years ago. Thanks for re posting! What a fantastic photo, and yes, it is one for the ages.

2 Likes

What a great photo. We miss Paul Oā€™Connell, and Mary-Catherine and Deborah. And Jasper. Summer Shack bears no relation to Jasperā€™s.

3 Likes

I tried both Summer Shacks several times. Last time was more than 10 years ago. I never got to try Jasperā€™s, and I wanted to like Summer Shack, but except for the snow cone and one order of calamari, just didnā€™t work for me.

Hold up. Ana Sortun is/was involved with Casa B, the Puerto Rican place in Somerville??

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. Well before CasaB in Union Square, Somerville, existed, Ana Sortun was at Casablanca bar and restaurant in Harvard Square, then affectionately known as CasaB, at 40 Brattle St., in the same building as the Brattle Square Theater/movie house. That restaurant Casablanca closed in 2012 and the space is now occupied by Alden & Harlow. There was a lovely mural in the Casablanca Restaurant depicting Casablanca the movie. I think I remember reading that the mural was preserved and moved elsewhere, but Iā€™m not sure where.

1 Like

This was the mural:
casablanca

It was moved upstairs to the Brattle theater (where I believe it still is):

7 Likes

Oh yes, I remember Casablanca (and its mural). I never referred to it as CasaB though. That would make much more sense that she would be involved with that one, given its menu.

3 Likes