Celebratory lunch in Boston/Cambridge/metrowest

you all are amazing. @MC-Slim-JB , so nice see your posts! I missed them on CH.

5 Likes

Not what Iā€™d consider truly high end, but still a lovely place where Iā€™ve enjoyed celebratory meals is Waypoint in Cambridge

Of course you can certainly make it more special with their raw bar offerings and bubbles!

Apropos Peregrine, they have a lovely interior courtyard where we enjoyed breakfast once.

1 Like

Dovetail in Charlestown at the Navy Yard is open for lunch. I havenā€™t tried it but I do like their sister restaurant in Charlestown, Brewerā€™s Fork. Somebodyā€¦I think it was Diggaā€¦posted a review of it a while back. If itā€™s warm, you could have a nice walk around the harbor. Mostly seafood with some other options.

We really like Semolina Kitchen in Medford. Itā€™s right at Tufts and on the casual side, but the food is really good. Run by the Daveā€™s pasta people. They have good specials that change every day that you can see when you click on the order takeout here button and some of the specials are on instagram.

I havenā€™t eaten at Harvest in Harvard Square for more than 10 years, but I recall a nice atmosphere and a nice patio if itā€™s warm enough. I have no idea what the food is like now.

I wish I could help moreā€¦all the other places I thought of arenā€™t open for lunch or are almost totally seafood. Yes, it seemed like Sarma was open for lunch for about 3 weeks!

Good luck!

2 Likes

We love Branch Line, too! Some of the same food is available at their Cambridge location, Shy Bird, but thatā€™s much more casual, order at the counter, at least when we went pre pandemic.

2 Likes

So great to see you here, MC Slim JB. Iā€™ve been a fan of yours for decades. Please keep posting! A lot of us have really missed you.

I thought of Peregrine because we got take out from them a few times and really liked it, and we really like Juliet (same chef/owners) in Somerville. sallyt and her friend donā€™t eat red meat and friend isnā€™t fond of seafood. Maybe they can find something at Peregrine they like. Iā€™d love to visit in person someday.

3 Likes

Probably not ā€œhigh endā€, but I LOVE Daliā€™s in Somerville; have always had a fun time there.

3 Likes

Dali isnā€™t open for lunch (I donā€™t think it ever has been). It is a fun atmosphere and some of the food is good. Iā€™m looking forward to going back for tapas fairly soon.

1 Like

Dali doesnā€™t serve lunch. They used to do a same menu brunch on weekends, but I believe that stopped well before the pandemic.

And itā€™s one of my favorites as well, having gone there for about 25 years. I know itā€™s considered old hat and tired by many after so many years. But the people who work there, food, and atmosphere are like a really comfy pair of pants or blanket.

1 Like

Iā€™ve made plans to do so with a friend on the last Friday of March. I seriously cannot wait. I think the last time I was there was April 2021 with 2 other vaxxed friends. I used to go at least once a month (although that was about 5-8 years ago).

3 Likes

Stephanieā€™s on Newbury is a solid option. Not too loud. Saltie Girl is no linger the small seafood boutique- the name is now used for the former Met Cafe.

1 Like

@neil.henry - thanks - I did not know that about Saltie Girl!

We went to Catalyst - her choice - and it was excellent. We were the first customers @ 1130 and when we left it was packed, so good for them - lunch is back, apparently! Food was good - we got focaccia, kale salad, fish tacos, and the baked alaska for dessert. Baked alaska was VERY boozy which isnā€™t our thing, so we really didnā€™t eat much, but my fish tacos were excellent and the fries were wonderful. Our server couldnā€™t have been nicer.

6 Likes

Sounds delicious, thanks for circling back! I am sad I wasnā€™t there to help with the baked alaska, it is one of very few desserts I like!

5 Likes

Have you had the Oleana version, and what do you think of it?

1 Like

Particularly if it was boozy - Iā€™m anti-dessert but if itā€™s boozy, Iā€™m on board.

3 Likes

I had many awesome special occasion lunches there when I worked in Central Sq. Not stuffy but fancy enough to make our special lunches feel fancy. So glad you had a good meal there.

3 Likes

I had always wanted to try the Baked Alaska at Oleana and never could persuade my husband. But we got it take out in 2020 for my birthday in August. It survived the take out very well, surprisingly (we are only a few miles away). I found the caramel really, really too sweet (like many Middle Eastern desserts) although I love passion fruit. The rest of it was superbly delicious and Iā€™m glad we did it! Boozy is fine with me, lots of sugar isnā€™t. The rest of it was wonderful. Humm, I think I want to try it again! Oleana is still doing take out.

Sally, so glad you and your friend had a good celebration!

3 Likes

Yes. You have to cut it with the mountain of meringue.

Itā€™s been about a decade since I had the one at Eana but I loved it.

And I did love the meringue, and it was amazing how well it transported a few miles from Oleana to our house in East Somerville, in August.
My husband claims to hate desserts and especially really sweet ones, but he lapped up what I couldnā€™t finish of the Oleana baked alaska in record time (meaning he seemed to just inhale it).

Iā€™m really glad the baked alaska is still on the menu at Oleana after all these years. As well as a couple of other dishes that weā€™ve enjoyed since Oleana opened over years.

1 Like