Celebrate 'Day of the Dead' the Mexican way...

Sounds like a tie-in with Halloween, but’Dia de los Muertos’ is a national holiday in Mexico on Nov. 1st and 2nd. It is not as morbid as it sounds. Friends and family who have passed are remembered with traditional food and music…and a good stiff Margarita or two. I will probably be stopping into Rancho Grande in Yonkers for their fun Happy Hours, and Rio Bravo in Larchmont. Their ‘galloping bar’ is a great venue…
Any other suggestions?

Looking forward to a south of the border pit stop today…

It is. All Hallows’ Eve (aka Halloween) is the Eve before All Hallow’s Day (All Souls Day, aka Day of the Dead).

Thanks for the history, ratgirlagogo…

What’s your take on this place? We have considered stopping in once or twice when we were over there shopping, but the extremely mixed Yelp reviews have kept us away. Decent food? I wouldn’t mind having a chips-and-salsa kind of Mexican place in my back pocket when nothing else will do.

About a year ago I heard that one of my favorite chefs took over the kitchen at Rancho Grande and he has been making improvements since. I particularly enjoy their happy hour and the appetizer platters. Yes, it is big and brash, but fun…

1 Like

Wow, I totally disagree. I find the place over-priced and lousy food. Tried several items a few weeks ago after swearing I would never go there again after the disgusting mess I was served around six months ago. I let a friend talk me into it. Never again. Especially when there are so many really good Mexican places in lower Westchester. Mole tasted like it was a mediocre canned brand, all sweet with sugar and chocolate, and no depth of spicing. Goya mole tastes better. The tacos were American style with ground beef and fillings, not authentic Mexican or Tex/Mex style with quality fillings. And again tasted like something made from pre-made spice mix of supermarket taco kit. I make better at home. Had a fish dish that was way overcooked, and the sauce was a pool of burnt tasting grease.