Cartmel and Grange-over-Sands [England]

Some nice picks on a lovely weekend away:

Cartmel
The Unsworth’s Yard area has a cheese shop, bakery, brewery and wine shop all huddled around an outdoor terrace with heat lamps. We ordered three cheeses from the very friendly cheesemonger. Unfortunately, not a lot was left in the bakery so we went for crackers rather than bread. The wine shop has an auto-dispenser that serves six or seven wines in various portion sizes – super friendly staff (who lent us a cheese knife) and very interesting wines.

Rogan + Co was a lovely meal in fairly casual atmosphere – it was a chilly night and I was very happy to have the seat closest to the fireplace. We had dinner at L’enclume the next night and it was interesting to notice a repetition – we had an appetiser of truffled condensed croissant in Rogan + Co that made the menu at L’enclume the next night (and we were very happy because we loved it). Gorgeous lamb rump. My husband really disliked his pear, mint and coffee granita dessert – he ordered it because it sounded interesting but ultimately didn’t think the flavor combination worked. Should have got the tried-and-true chocolate fondant!

Grange-Over-Sands
The Hazelmere is a bakery and cafe about a 30 second walk from the train station, so a perfect stop for people transiting to or through Grange. We picked up some lunch for the train back to London. I loved the Cornish pasty, which had a beautiful, tender crust. Several of the baked goods were new to me and it was hard to choose! Cumberland rum nicky and Yorkshire curd tart both appealed but I came down on the side of the nicky. It was a ginger and rum-flavored pie with a glazed lattice crust. Not as sweet as I expected, which was nice.

2 Likes