Caribbean island favorites?

I booked a 9 day cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines ship the Norwegian Pearl to get a bit of an idea of what a couple Caribbean islands are like and i have to admit, cruise ships have way too many people on them for this to be a good idead for me!
Road Town in the British Virgin Islands was the first place that really got my attention, i got a scallops app and a seafood chowder at Bamboushay near the port and they both were pretty good.

Being a huge Patrick O’Brian fan i had to stop in to Pusser’s for a shot of Pusser’s Rum, water and lime. Kind of a deconstructed grog. I cheated and added ice and it was pretty good!

I am still learning how to most efficiently download fotos from my phone to Hungry Onion so these photos may be out of order.

Pussers Rum is outstanding!

![20231213_105653|525x700]
(upload://he7dHcBEQnakQhMn7uusvPVgIVt.jpeg)
![20231213_111743|700x429]
(upload://n8N8bLtTO8LCT9KbZwh6xhjQZUA.jpeg)

The ale is the Dutch Blonde ale at the Dutch Blonde Bar in Philipsburg on St. Maarten, great bar, good ale!
The one of the ship sailing into the rainstorm is my ship, though.
I was in a pharmacy waiting for my home pharmacist to fax the prescription i ran out of to the pharmacy in St. Thomas when the NCL rep called to let me know the ship was leaving in 3 minutes.
Needless to say, i am still in St. Thomas, but it turned out well. An old favorite hangout, The Green Iguana, had a room and United is getting me to Fort Lauderdale tmrw. My luggage will arrive in Miami on the 18th.

12 Likes

I never tire of hearing your travel adventures! What are the great-looking fried things?

2 Likes

Voodoo shrimp at Lazy Lizard! Delicious! I think they cook them in muffin tins. Philipsburg on Dutch side of St Maarten! Great pub!

3 Likes

I got to attend a Christmas Street Festival but unfortunately the first couple hours were in the middle of a huge rain shower.
I got an excellent oxtail and yam plate w some extra potato salad near Emancipation Garden. Good stuff. Hardest part was finding a dry spot to sit and eat it.
Later on the party kicked in big time but the crowds were still sparse.

Here is the Saltfish at el Fredo’s on St. Kitts. Really good! Hibiscus rum? Not so much… Live and learn.

8 Likes

I have not been to the Pusser’s in Roadtown in forever. That is a great place. I used to sail the Drake Channel a lot back when I had a boat. Such fond memories of the area. Thanks for reminding me.

2 Likes

Hit Gladys’ in St. Thomas for breakfast so my “local” options were limited. But i ordered the lobster and avocado omelet, pretty good.
More rain today so only a short walkabout.

View from Green Iguana.

Street view 8 hours after party ended. They take clean seriously here. Even the garbage cans were clean and empty.

8 Likes

I am back in Miami waiting for my cruise ship to show up tomorrow so i hit the Playa Cafe in Miami Beach for a Midnight/Medianoche sandwich. The waitress got frustrated with me and gave me a Jarolito soda instead of a Cafe Cubano, but the sandwich was good, even better than the one i had last week. The semi sweet bread gives it a different taste profile from a Cuban Sandwich.

Miami Beach is kind of crowded w little shacks but few people at this time of year.

The Cafe Cubano at Latin Cafe 2000 south of the airport is outstanding! Their Medianoche sandwich is really good too.

Long ago and in a galaxy far from this one my friends and i used to hang out in what was then one of the worst dive bars in Miami Beach. It has since gone kind of up scale. Sad.

7 Likes