[Cardiff, Wales] Sunday lunch at Y Mochyn Du

Perched on the edge of Sophia Gardens, Y Mochyn Du (Welsh for “The Black Pig”) was the perfect lunch spot for me after spending much of the morning trudging through Cardiff Castle. By foot, one can reach Y Mochyn Du from Cardiff Castle in 10 minutes by walking through Bute Gardens.

Y Mochyn Du is one of those traditional pubs which is both comfy, yet able to accommodate large parties within its bright, sunny dining rooms, besides the al fresco dining areas in the gardens surrounding it. Service is friendly & brisk, and I really enjoyed all the dishes I ordered - which looked & tasted like home-cooking to me.

1. Welsh rarebit - Mochyn Du’s own take on this dish combined smoked bacon, red onions, Welsh beer and local Caws Canna cheese, spread on wholemeal toast. Very, very tasty rendition.

2. Welsh roast beef, served with roasted potatoes, cauliflower cheese, seasonal vegetables & Yorkshire pudding. This dish was entailed quite a wait as there was a large Sunday lunch crowd and it was one of the popular choices. Worth every second of my 40-minute wait, though.

3. Rhubarb & berry crumble, served with hot custard. Simple, homely dish, but I grew up in Perth, Australia, and this dessert gave me an Anton-Ego-eats-ratatouille moment:

Address
Y Mochyn Du,
Sophia Close
Cardiff, CF11 9HW
Wales
Tel: 029 2037 1599
Opening hours: 12.00pm-9.00pm daily (8.00pm Sunday)

2 Likes

Good lunch. The sort that needs a lie down afterwards.

The crumble is bang on for seasonality.

1 Like

Go back in December :wink:

LOL! Goes without saying :joy: