Caramelizing onions in the oven?

That’s nice that you have people to talk to about this in real life. I have to come here. Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE coming here.

2 Likes

It is nice to have people to talk to IRL or here. Here is good. grin My people are your people. I stumbled into a community of pro chef’s through sailing. It’s fun cooking for them. I’ve learned a lot about food and cooking from them and they’ve learned a lot about boats and sailing from me. It’s all very symmetric. grin

boom Big t-storms and lost power. Shutting down.

2 Likes

I received a note from Amazon – Mueller has recalled this chopper due to the problem you mentioned. I sent them a note requesting a replacement (they’ve re-designed the unit), and they replied that to get a replacement I have to send them a photo showing that the unit has been broken and made unusable – only then will they replace it by the end of January. I’m kind of irked, as I use this thing at least a couple of times a week, and don’t feel I should have to do without it for 3 months just to get a replacement. Will update…

1 Like

i’ve been caramelizing onions in the oven for years.

never worried about the direction of the slices. prefer to use large onions (fewer to peel), cut in chunks, then slice in the food processor. toss with some evoo, salt and pepper.

the trick to caramelizing onions in the oven is to use low heat, 225-250ºF and stir every 15 minutes or so (after an hour, stir every 30 minutes). the low heat in the oven almost prevents any burned edges and tips of the onions, creating a very uniform caramelization. i let them go for at least 4 hours.

they keep in the freezer (portioned, for future use) very well. so well, a while back i found a jar in the back that had been there since 2016. still good.

have some great pics, but can’t figure out how to insert them:)

A few years ago, I made and gave several 4oz containers of frozen caramelized onions to friends for Christmas. Since they love caramelized onions but complain that they take too much time and effort, I expected the gift to be a hit, but it was barely acknowledged. We knitters have a phrase, “knit-worthy”, that refers to giftees who appreciate the time, effort, and expense that goes into knitting a present for someone. Oblivious recipients are thereafter not considered knit-worthy. I think we need a “cook-worthy” category as well!

3 Likes

Yes, I like the idea of low and slow. I cooked them at 350 on convection and they came out ok, but a little burnt. Next time I’ll still use convection, but the much lower 225 degrees.

I like to spread them flat in a ziploc bag and then freeze. Then I can break off pieces as I need them.

I am really on board with the idea of “knit-worthy.” (I’m also a knitter!) Cook-worthy really rings true for me. I have made things for people, and then not gotten any feedback at all. If you don’t tell me whether you enjoyed it or not, then you are off my recipients list. If I get enthusiastic comments, then I know I have someone who appreciates my efforts, and I’ll keep on giving. In my mind now, there will be my “cook-worthy” peeps, and non “cook-worhty.”

3 Likes

Very good point.

For the record, I think my post was originally about cutting onions, but somehow it seemed like a good idea to include it with carmelizing them.