Caramel

Do you make your own and happy with it?

Any tips or advice?

How are you defining caramel? Simple caramel it stupid easy to make. Like for lining creme caramel molds. Or spinning webs over croquembouche or other desserts. With cream and butter added, simple sauces, hot or cold. Or sugar added to butter sauted fruits (apples, pears, grapes), then splash of cream → lovely accompaniment to blood or veal sausages.
You need a sturdy saucepan.

1 Like

Always make my own, but will caution those who haven’t made it, as for a flan, the sugar will caramelize faster than you think it might. It seems many people on their first try will over do it. Which is a learning lesson. To be assured of success you may want to use a thermometer, depending on the stage you want. Once you’re used to the process, it’s easier to gauge with your eyes only…can be ok for flan, sauces, and the like, but to take it to a harder, candy stage it may behoove one to use a thermometer, OR the old cheater’s method of testing in water to soft, medium and hardball stage.

Years ago, was cooking with my sis in law, making an entire meal from Diana Kennedy’s The Cuisines of Mexico, and burnt the crap out of the caramel for flan. We were reasonably competent cooks, but hadn’t made caramel ever. Success was achieved the 2nd try and dinner was delicious. A good memory too.

2 Likes

Thank you :pray: This is what I want to learn to do. I recently bought some ‘homemade’ caramel at the market for dipping apples slices and while the texture was excellent the flavor was almost burnt (I felt) and somewhat like medicine.

Any tips on technique, ingredients, and the amount of salt would be much appreciated. Here’s an Old Fashion to bribe you :tumbler_glass:.

1 Like

Lol - I’ll look for an excellent recipe I have for the type of caramel dip you’re looking for, stay tuned.

1 Like

:tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

Are you talking about hard caramel like crunchy apple or nuts or caramel sauce with (salty) butter? I’ve made both.

1 Like

You need to work very fast and it’s extremely easy to burn. I prefer undercook than overcook.

1 Like

I’m looking for something to dip apple slices please.

TO MAKE CARAMEL
When sugar boils the water evaporates and the sugar begins to color. This is caramel. The darker it is, the more pronounced will be its taste. It’s just a matter of seconds between a deep amber flavor and the overwhelming bitterness of a burnt sugar. Try to avoid distractions or multitask.

To begin, count 1 teaspoon soup of cold water for 50 g (1.76 oz) of sugar; 100g (3.5 oz) of sugar makes about 3 to 4 tablespoons of caramel. (Pro chefs ignore water)

Mix the water in the sugar before cooking. It will not dissolve completely, you will get a paste smooth and white. Use a heavy bottom sauce pan. Heat gently so that the sugar dissolves completely then leave bubbling, wiping the sides of the pan with a wet brush if crystals are formed.

Once the syrup is bubbling nicely, caramel will begin to take from the syrup that touches the sides of the pan. if it smokes and immediately takes on a very dark color, move gently the pot to better distribute the cooking points. Do not stir the caramel under any circumstances, otherwise it will crystallize. Be very careful not to to burn yourself.

It’s your preference if you want a light tasting caramel or deeply favoured one. You can only judge with your eyes as it is impossible to taste at this stage. Be aware that it will continue to cook and darken even if removed from the heat source. I suggest you stop at image number 6 or 7.

RECIPE FOR CARAMEL SAUCE (The last spoon below)
• 250 ml (1 cup) whipping cream
• 30g (1oz) semi-salted butter
• 1 teaspoon of fleur de sel or Kosher salt
• 200g (7oz) caster sugar
• 4 tablespoon of water

(If you do not want the salty version, just use non salted butter and omit the salt)

Melt sugar with water in a saucepan over low heat to obtain a good colored caramel. Off the heat, add the butter and then the cream. Bring it all to boil and add the salt. Mix then pour into a small
pot. Keep warm before using. Serve the sauce warm in preference.

Image credits: Marie-Pierre Morel - Du caramel plein la bouche

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m reading and digesting. You’re very kind. Again, thank you.

1 Like

Hope it’s useful for you. Let us know how your caramel turns out.

1 Like

There are some good tips here from David Libovitz.
I think the main problem with answering your question is defining the caramel that you are looking for. By dipping apple slices, do you want the caramel to harden into a soft vut firm coating, like a chewy caramel candy, or a hard, cruncy coating like a candy apple, or a soft fondu sauce.

If ‘caramel for simply dipping apple slices’ to eat while watching the Packers mop up the field with the Vikings isn’t specific enough then I’m afraid you’re overqualified and I’m vastly under qualified. :joy:

Thank you for the link I’m reading it now.

:rofl: I think by default, if you mention apple, instantly the hard coated whole candied apple comes to mind.

1 Like

I’m not able to locate my recipe presently (it’s on paper); it’s around somewhere, I’ll continue looking. But it is the four ingredients in @naf’s posted recipe. The instructions look great, and I think it would be a good starting point. Personally, I’d use a light hand on the salt, especially if using salted butter.

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate the effort. Please keep the :tumbler_glass: as a token of my appreciation. :hugs:

1 Like

:drooling_face: I’ll take those if you’re offering!

For you: :tumbler_glass:

Swing by at halftime?

1 Like

Thank you! They were quite strong, I must say! Haha :joy_cat:

1 Like

:man_dancing:t3: