Captain Bennys [Houston, Texas]

Captain Benny’s is one of my mom’s favorite places. She goes for the gumbo and the jumbo fried shrimp platter.

And the cold beer.

And the hushpuppies.

And she’s not wrong. For years, she and her best friend would drive out to the I45 South location from her home in the Memorial area. One day, I mentioned that there was a much closer location on US 290 so now we go much more often, as we did last Saturday along with my OBD, (OtherBrotherDarrell - “not” his real name!).

I was driving and only had iced tea and the six piece fried shrimp platter with extra hushpuppies in lieu of the bread.

Mom had the six piece fried shrimp platter with extra hushpuppies in lieu of bread and a cup of Seafood Gumbo. And two beers; (yeah, she’s wild I tell ya’).

OBD had the six piece fried shrimp platter with extra hushpuppies in lieu of bread and a cup of Chicken/Sausage Gumbo. And two beers.

It’s pretty good stuff. Both gumbos are great and the fried shrimp are so good that I never get anything else. A nearby patron had some of the baked oysters and he said they were great. I may have to try that soon. Another nearby patron had oysters on the half shell and said they were good also, but we noticed that as he was shucking them, the shucker was running the newly opened oysters under the tap of running water. Isn’t the oyster liquor a “thing”?

Anyway, we like this place. My mom likes this place.What else do you wanna know?

Here’s a LINK.

Yay for Capt. Benny’s. Been going since the early 80s. Almost exclusively these days I go the the one on S. Main where supposedly Benny’s widow is still in charge. But, doh, I didn’t know they had two gumbos now; I order after only glancing at the menu - love the whole,butterflied catfish, too.

1 Like

Doobs you’re right about the water and I would insist they not do that. Next time ask the shucker where they come from. Oyster season is closed until Christmas for pretty much the whole Texas coast except the private leases due to all the fresh water from the floods.

I loved the Capt Benny’s on Gulf Fwy during my working days at LYO. They opened one about a mile from us in Deer Park and it’s not nearly as good. We’ve tried it several times and just don’t love it.