Cape Cod 2020

We live in Eastham. We’re cautious about going out to eat in these times. Also must add that at our age, we go to lunch not dinner. Sooo…Bookstore restaurant in Wellfleet is one of our faves. We also love Pearl at the harbor but so far they only seem to be open for dinner and no live music. If you want a great lobster roll or scallop roll or fisherman’s platter go to the Friendly Fisherman on Rte. 6 in Eastham. It’s a classic clam shack with outdoor picnic tables. You can ask for empty cups. BYOB. There’s a package store next door.

6 Likes

The Bookstore looks like a nice lunch spot (which we do more often than not too). Have eaten at the FF a couple of times, thanks for the reminder.

For non-Mass residents: a package store aka ‘packy’ is a liquor store.

4 Likes

Ok all, I’m going to step in here as a totally unbiased East Coast counselor!
Haven’t spent enough time on the other coast to even matter, but have two cancelled trips to Boston, Gloucester, Ipswich cancelled just this summer/fall.

I’m sure it’s all perfectly lovely, with each town having it’s own particular charm. Hope fate gives me another chance to visit!!

That said, as a West Coast person, there are places I avoid like the plague (Covid lol) during high season, sometimes year round. These include but are not limited to Sedona Az, Lake Tahoe, (South Shore), anywhere on coastal highways in SoCal on weekends, and god forbid, never fly into LAX if you can help it, especially on Friday afternoons. Feel free to PM me if you need further travel advice. Have favorite airports, etc that will save much travel time in snarled up traffic.

Peace! :v:t2:

1 Like

It has been a few years since I’ve been, but my favorite lobster rolls were always from Sir Cricket’s in Orleans: http://www.nausetfishandlobsterpool.com/sir-crickets-fish-n-chips

We kicked around the idea of renting a house up there a few months ago. Hope you enjoy a low key vacation.

1 Like

Moderators Hat On

People I’ve done a little “house keeping” on this thread following a post being flagged. Let’s keep this civil without any need for personal attacks of any kind. Remember it’s ok not to agree, it’s not ok to not agree and start insulting others with a differing opinion to your own.

If we don’t agree just move on please, no personal attacks.

Thank you.
NotJr

3 Likes

I’ll always stan for Mac’s Shack in Wellfleet. Raw bar, sushi…there are a few of my favorite things. All served in a nice outdoor setting conducive to the miserable circumstances of this summer.

Mud slinging aside. If I am staying on the outer cape, I’d rather open a vein than deal with the drive back beyond the elbow. If visiting friends in the area or transiting via the airport or ferry, than, yeah a stop at Pain D’Avignon is a no brainer.

5 Likes

Thank you to everyone that provided constructive insight. I will report back on our trip late September in a a new posting.
Harters I- have always enjoyed your commentary and I hope you continue to be part of the HO community.
I would ask the moderators to please close comments on this topic if possible.

3 Likes

I thought I left those at CH.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ve no plans to be going anywhere else anytime soon. The moderators have done a tidy up of the thread which leaves it, hopefully, in a healthy condition and a helpful aid to your holiday. We’ve always enjoyed our trips to New England but I think it will be some time before transatlantic flights appeal again.

John

3 Likes

We tossed together a cape cod trip and are up here now. Covid wise people are taking this super seriously. Everyone wears masks. Sanitizer everywhere. Just used a portable hand washing station! Food wise I’ve been mostly cooking but did our first meal here as takeout from sir crickets in Orleans. Awesome as I remember but they now take credit cards which I don’t recall from prior trips.

We are hoping to do dinner outdoors (no kid!) Somewhere near eastham if anyone has any newer recommendations. I looked into that 7 course dinner mentioned at the start of this chain but to go only.

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting! I live in MA but know nothing about dining on the Cape because it’s never been in our vacation rotation.

Earlier in this thread @retrospek offers some ideas—perhaps a starting point.

2 Likes

Thanks! It has been a beautiful trip so far. I looked into a few of those recommendations already. :grin:

1 Like

Spanky’s by the ferry dock in Hyannis has a memorable lobster salad.

2 Likes

We like Rock Harbor Grill in Orleans but not sure what the outside availability might be. We aren’t going
for another couple of weeks. These are some recommendations from my chowhound post. I have not been to any so can’t speak to the quality.

Moby DIcks
*The Beachcomber. I was there recently and all guidelines were being followed and the food is actually quite good. Tough to beat that view.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

4 Likes

Will do! Thank you!

We live in Eastham. We tend to eat out for lunch, not dinner - even when we’re on vacation somewhere else. Some restaurants that have outdoor venues for an evening meal are CShore on Rte 6 in Wellfleet, Mahoney’s, & Beacon Room in Orleans. We have been to them all and they are good. We love restaurants in Provincetown, but we’re not going there this summer. Bookstore in Wellfleet is also one of our favorites. Local Break in Eastham for casual fare. Blackfish in Truro (not sure about outdoor dining, though). A new Italian restaurant in Orleans with outdoor dining, La Bella Vita, gets good reviews but we have not tried it yet. They moved into a former favorite restaurant of ours.

5 Likes

Are you talking about the academy that’s no longer there? I loved them. Thanks for all these ideas. My grandma lived in Orleans for 25ish years and I spent 25ish summers here. Haven’t been back in at least 6.

Yes - Academy Ocean Grille. We loved that place. Had a nice big menu.

2 Likes

i just read that the Lobster Claw in Orleans is closing for good. I haven’t been to the Cape in a long time, but I sure went here in the 80’s when I used to go down that way all the time.