CAJUN AND CREOLE - Fall 2023 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

I’ve been catching it on PBS Create and have enjoyed the family contributions.

I had this saved…

1 Like

Shrimp gumbo. I used this as a jumping off place, added Tony Cachere’s and thyme, and did not boil everything to a fare-thee-well. Vegetables got 20:00, shrimp got two. I got a little nervous waiting for the roux to turn medium brown, but it did not burn and smelled correct. But roux + okra = very gluey gumbo. I haven’t eaten gumbo that many times (people are always throwing sausage and chicken into it), but I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be not this gluey. Suggestions welcome.

gumbo

7 Likes

Maybe not, but a lot might depend on how you handle the okra, which I don’t use. Yours looks good though!

I don’t see the color of the roux at all! I’ve read the lighter it is, the more thickening power.

I always chicken out before it’s dark enough.

I was proud enough of this last batch to freeze some!

6 Likes

I really tried to stick with it! What I ended up with was not as dark as yours, but it was what I thought the recipe called for - medium brown. I bet there’s a color chart somewhere.

1 Like

From Serious Eats
There are actually a couple of other Stages including “Black” just before Burnt.

3 Likes

That does look like a lot of “Texture”.
Looks like the recipe is “frying” the Okra first to try to de-slime it? If so i think that it was done a too low a Temp may be.
When working with fresh Okra it is very important to dry each Pod very well. Contact with Water really brings out the slime.

2 Likes

My roux was lighter than “dark” but darker than "peanut butter.

I skipped that step and just added the okra along with the other vegetables, which may have been the wrong thing to do. And I will do more diligent drying next time - thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

Ding, ding, ding!
That explains it.
Happy to help.

3 Likes

Cooking the okra for 20:00 just seemed crazy to me! But I can fry them first next time.

1 Like

I have never used a Recipe like the one you cite above before for Gumbo.
So I can not say what the result will be.
I have used the Searing Method for Okra in other Dishes both Cajun and South Indian and am assuming that is the Goal with the Recipe you started with.

1 Like

It looked really old school, which is why I chose it.

I had heard that either one should pre-cook the okra before adding to the stew or add it at the last minute. Can’t remember when or where I heard this, but it was mos def after the pandemic. Maybe on a PBS Create cooking show? My MIL always said, ‘The mind goes first’.

1 Like

Two-fer:

1 Like

If you wash and then thoroughly dry the okra, it’s less likely to “slime” when you add it. Given okra’s ability to make the gumbo viscous, I leave the roux out–either use one or the other, not both.

4 Likes

By the end of this quarter, I will be an expert. And probably really sick of gumbo.

5 Likes

I am looking forward to making my Cajun pasta outside of Mardi Gras. It is a knock off from a Cajun restaurant we used to frequent ages ago. Served with a starter of shrimp bisque with brandy (I coudda have drunk a gallon of that stuff!) and a sweet cornbread square with green onion flecks made for a dreamy meal. Sometime this week!

5 Likes

You wrote it! It’s as good as done!

1 Like

All this talk of okra … my favorite recipe is Indian, from Mangoes and Curry Leaves, no slime whatsoever. You get really fresh okra, best to trim then julienne (recipe says to cut into pieces, julienne much better) you cook spices in oil in wok, add chopped onion (shallots good too) add okra, stir fry high heat, add chopped garlic and shredded ginger.

Absolutely delicious, even tastes great cold.

If anyone wants the recipe I can list ingredients and paraphrase recipe.

10 Likes

My favorite way, since this seems to have turned into an okra thread. First wear long sleeves and gloves when you pick from the garden. If not you’ll regret it. Wash/dry slice into 1/4” pieces. Discard any big tough ones. Past their prime. Beat one egg with a little TC cajun seasoning, garlic and onion powder, s & p. Add sliced okra and mix with half flour and cornstarch to form a slight batter. Drop by TBSP and shallow fry in oil until tender inside and crispy golden brown. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and serve with ketchup or even better, remoulade sauce. Great appetizer/munchie food.

9 Likes