Buttering your corn

i prefer my corn on the cob plain, sometimes not even cooked. But I was impressed with yesterday’s FB video from Jacques Pepin. He generously buttered a slice of bread (French baguette, bien sûr), then used it like a sponge to wipe the butter onto the ear. No dripping, and of course you can enjoy the bread with your meal.

5 Likes

I use the carnival corn method. Break in half . Using the same sauce pan you boiled the corn in . Drain , add butter and salt to the pan . Then add the corn and toss .

Microwave corn in the husk (JP does that, too). You get a fresher taste via the husks, and the silks come off all at once. Or steam, for less water, less power, and less kitchen heat. Either way, no pan to clean!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip .

This is by far my favorite way to cook corn. I actually bought a chinese cleaver to more easily chop the stalk end of the ear off once it was nuked. Quick and easy, with no stringly silk all over, and very fresh tasting!

I just melt and season the butter, and serve it in a gravy boat with a basting brush. Much easier and neater than smearing solid butter on hot ears. Oh, and corn holders help tremendously, especially for kids.

2 Likes

Thank you! I tried the Pepin method tonight - delicious, neat, less butter.
Me i grill my corn - 6 mins total, taking thicker husks off first , turning others down, removing silk, husks back up, place in water for minimum of 10 minutes. Drain, place on medium heat grill for 3 mins, turn for another three mins. Enjoy, I do.

2 Likes

That’s funny. Butter bread was always done in my family; great grandma (who farmed corn in Illinois), grandmother, then my dad. It was always a treat to be able to split the used buttered bread with my dad after all the corn was slathered up. I hadn’t thought about that in years. Awe, now I’m happy.

3 Likes

My husband’s family, on the other had/used “rolly butter” - they put out a whole stick of butter and everyone just rolled their corn on it (corn parallel to the stick). At the end there was a nice deep trench in the stick of butter. Always seems like a huge waste to me.

Rolly butter for me.

1 Like

I don’t use butter on corn. DH just cuts off a chunk of butter, pops it in his mouth then attacks the ear of corn. When the butter is gone, he repeats.

3 Likes

Wow . The butter first then the corn . Innovative. I’ll have to try this move. Genius

Best among family. And older less impressionable, at that.

And you can use the peeled-back husk for a handle.

If the corn is good I like it without butter too but I was impressed, like you, the first time I saw the technique in the movie war games. In this case the corn was also raw which is not so bad with just picked corn.

3 Likes