Butter: Salted vs: Unsalted

I always keep both kinds in my freezer, most typically the multi packs from Costco, or pick up when on sale. I buy special butters when I see them, Plugra, Amish rolled butter, and others, which I enjoy. Oh, I’m seriously underwhelmed by Kerry Gold, but just my opinion.

I like using salted for some things, IMO it works better than adding salt to unsalted butter, because the salt seems more incorporated in the salted type. For many recipes I’ll use unsalted, especially if there are other salty elements in the recipe. I do like unsalted in baking recipes typically, but it’s not a catastrophe if I happen to be out of it. My favorite way to eat fresh warm bread is unsalted butter, with a light grinding of salt. Sadly, this doesn’t happen very often, :sob: waaah!

1 Like

My fav has always been Challenge (a California dairy brand).

But I don’t get the “use salted butter” recommendation. Maybe folks that agree are not using Diamond Crystal… but I do and I have never noticed a lack of even incorporation in any thing.

And I whole-heartedly agree that warm bread is best with sweet butter and a fine pinch of kosher salt (same for my garlic toast)!

3 Likes

If unsalted works well for you in everything, then that is good to only have to stock one variety!

2 Likes

Then you haven’t had fresh warm bread with cultured salted butter from Normandy. Oh gawd or mon dieu! Just amazing stuff. The only way I can get it is to buy it a case at a time from a restaurant supply dealer in NYC. Changes the way you think of bread and butter.

1 Like

I use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt and I am in the buy both types of butter camp.

As I stated previously, most of the recipes I’ve seen that call for salted butter are written in Europe and are written for European style butter. As European style butter has a lower water content than American style butter, they aren’t interchangeable.

David Lebovitz advised that to get the best results, one should use the style of peanut butter called for in a recipe. I believe the same is true for butter.

1 Like

True! For me. Not @ScottinPollock . Is it fair to say salted butter is especially appreciated with bread? I don’t eat a lot of bread, so husband has learned to add salt to his butter at the table.

2 Likes

My mother always used European unsalted butter for everything.
I use salted, semi salted and unsalted it depends on what I can find on sale.
Unsalted for baking, salted or semi salted for cooking and serving at the table.
I try to buy European butter, with the higher fat content, yet it is hard to find at a reduced price.

Fortunately we have HEB here, and they offer a store brand European style butter at a very good price. I love butter, unsalted and salted. I tend to buy unsalted, and I love unsalted butter on a warm baguette or croissant. On English muffins or toast I prefer salted. For breakfast radishes or a jambon beurre, I like unsalted with a light sprinkling of Diamond Crystal.

1 Like

We use Diamond Crystal exclusively for cooking and general table salt. But I’ve become addicted to Maldon salt for dressing salt., like sprinkling on unsalted buttered bread., or sliced tomatoes etc.

1 Like