Bursting with Flavor - The Vibrant Vegetables and Legumes at Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine [Thoughts + Pics]

While Ethiopian cuisine is becoming more and more prominent in various parts of the state and country, it still is relatively unknown to many. Part of the hesitation may be unfamiliarity. Another part might be not knowing what to order even if you finally decide to show up. Add to that the fact that many dishes in Ethiopian cuisine are naturally vegan, and you have an even smaller audience. But it would be well worth your while to give it a try, especially the stunningly vibrant and flavorful dishes at Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine.

Opened by Chef-Owner Rahel Woldmedhin nearly two decades ago, Rahel’s has remained our favorite spot in Little Ethiopia for years now, thanks to a recommendation from some of our OG Hounds back in the day.

Walking in, you have the option of eating a meal in a more traditional seating, or with standard tables and chairs.

During this first revisit since the pandemic (a few months back), Rahel’s was still being very careful and only offering outdoor seating. Each dish, traditionally prepared on a large Injera (a fermented soft, pillowy flatbread of sorts) for the table to share was now served individually for safety reasons.

Sambusa:

This Ethiopian appetizer bears a striking resemblance and shape to the more commonly found Indian Samosa. At Rahel’s it’s filled with primarily Stewed Lentils mixed with Berbere seasoning, nicely fried, piping hot, and delicious!

Ethiopian Hot Tea:

Fragrant, nutty, nicely spiced.

Vegan Feast (Combination of 10 Items):

One of the best ways to sample and enjoy Rahel’s wonderful menu is to order one of their Combination Plates.

Yeatikilt Wot (Vegetable Stew) (Steamed Carrots, Potatoes, and Cabbage Seasoned with Garlic, Ginger and Turmeric) + Yefasolia Wet (Mixed Vegetable Stew, with Fresh String Beans & Carrots, Seasoned with Garlic, Ginger and Turmeric):

The Yeatikilt Wot is a wonderful way to start, with the Ginger, Garlic and Turmeric permeating the soft pieces of Potatoes, Carrots, and Cabbage quite nicely.

The Yefasolia Wet with the Stewed Green Beans is one of our long-time favorites for years now. Just soft, tender Green Bean Stew, nicely seasoned with Chef Rahel’s personal recipe.

Duba Wet (Zucchini Stew) + Tekel Gomen (Stewed Cabbage with Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic and Spices):

Both the Duba Wet (Zucchini Stew) and Tekel Gomen (Stewed Cabbage with Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic and Spices) are distinct and quite flavorful, but the Tekel Gomen is another long-running favorite of ours. You would think the words “Stewed Cabbage” might sound kinda boring, but you would be wrong in this case: Chef Rahel’s Stewed Cabbage is incredibly nuanced and delicious, the Tomatoes, Ginger and Garlic add some familiar flavors, but her family recipe with the additional Ethiopian spices is what elevates it even more. It’s comforting and not actually “chili spicy” but full of flavorful spices.

Yeater Alicha (Split-Pea Stew) (Steamed Split-Pea Seasoned with Garlic and Onions):

Earthy, delicate, nutty, fragrant from long-stewed Onions and Garlic notes with the Split-Peas.

Tomato Fitfit (Slow-Cooked Tomatoes, Spices, mixed with Torn Injera) + Tomato Salad:

This was really standout: It tasted like a rounded, lovely Tomato Sauce with some “Sourdough-like” tang to each bite with the fermented Injera Bread mixed in. The Tomato Salad was probably the most straightforward and basic offering, being a simple dish of diced Tomatoes with a light seasoning / dressing.

Alicha Wot (Yellow Split-Pea Stew with Onions, Garlic, Turmeric and Spices) + Gomen (Steamed Seasonal Greens, Seasoned with Garlic and Green Pepper):

Their Yellow Split-Pea Stew is another favorite, lighter and less earthy than the Lentils, a bit more balanced and rounded. Delicious!

Yemisir Kik Wot (Split Lentil Stew in Berbere and Assorted Spices):

rahels_023

Their Yemisir Kik Wot (Split Lentil Stew in Berbere and Assorted Spices) is probably my favorite, being bolder, zestier and an excellent pairing with the Injera Bread:

Note: Rahel’s essentially is happy to give you as much Injera Bread as you’d like. Which is great to know, but realistically the amount of Injera that already comes with the meal was far too generous and enough to cover the whole meal and there were leftovers.

Another Visit:

A bit more recently, Rahel’s is now open for indoor and outdoor seating (with socially distanced tables inside).

Sambusa:

Still as pleasing as before, an excellent starter and it comes as part of a couple of the Combination Plates you can order. Excellent, full of flavor and delicious.

Tofu Wet (Stewed Tofu with Tomatoes, Onions, Garlic, and Assorted Spices):

One of the few dishes on Rahel’s menu that is not part of any of the various Combination Plates, it is well-worth your time to order it separately, even if you’re getting a Combination Plate. The flavors here are incredible: The Tofu is actually fully absorbing the flavors of the Stewed Tomatoes, Garlic and Onions, but the additional Ethiopian spices that Chef Rahel uses is just crave-worthy. It might be the Berbere spice mixture she uses, but there’s a lovely aromatic quality. Fenugreek, Shallots, Caraway Seeds, Thyme are among the many spices in her Berbere mix and it really makes this dish shine!

Vegan Feast (Combination of 10 Items):

The Vegan Feast was as excellent as it was in the previous years’ visits, except this time, it was our first time back inside the restaurant, and Rahel’s was serving it in the more traditional style again, on top of a large Injera base to tear off and eat as you pleased, with additional Injera Bread on the side as well.

Gomen (Steamed Seasonal Greens, Seasoned with Garlic and Green Pepper):

rahels_038

Yefasolia Wet (Mixed Vegetable Stew, with Fresh String Beans & Carrots, Seasoned with Garlic, Ginger and Turmeric):

Yellow Split-Pea Stew with Onions, Garlic, Turmeric and Spices:

Yeater Alicha (Split-Pea Stew) (Steamed Split-Pea Seasoned with Garlic and Onions):

Yemisir Kik Wot (Split Lentil Stew in Berbere and Assorted Spices):

Still one of my all-time favorites here. Chef Rahel’s Berbere seasoning with the Split Lentil Stew here is just so full of flavor, complex, herbal, fragrant and excellent!

Tekel Gomen (Stewed Cabbage with Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic and Spices):

The Tekel Gomen has been consistently delicious in all our years of visiting Rahel’s. I would eat Cabbage every day if it tasted as good as Chef Rahel’s version here.

Yeatikilt Wot (Vegetable Stew) (Steamed Carrots, Potatoes, and Cabbage Seasoned with Garlic, Ginger and Turmeric):

Tomato Fitfit (Slow-Cooked Tomatoes, Spices, mixed with Torn Injera):

Duba Wet (Zucchini Stew):

Tomato Salad:

Injera Bread:

Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine has thankfully survived 2020, and continues to offer some of the most flavorful, standout Ethiopian cuisine in the area. Look past the fact that it’s vegan, and you will discover some of the most delicious dishes in the city. Consider one of the Combination Plates which allows you to sample most of the menu, and is a great introduction to Chef Rahel’s menu, with mouth-watering flavors.

We’re not vegetarian, but we didn’t even miss the meat in this meal. What makes it even more appealing is that Rahel’s Ethiopian Cuisine is naturally vegan, celebrating wonderful vegetables and legumes, without the need of faux meat products. Our last two visits (after 2020) reminded me of how much I missed Ethiopian food, and especially Chef Rahel’s cooking. I can’t wait to return soon.

Rahel Ethiopian Vegan Cuisine
1047 S Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Tel: (323) 937-8401

http://rahelvegancuisine.com/

10 Likes

For some reason, I never get full eating at Rahel, even with the buffet option.

1 Like

Everything looks delicious!

I haven’t eaten Ethiopian since the pandemic started, and this made me so hungry!

I really want to know what the “correct” amount of injera to eat in a single meal is - how much would someone Ethiopian eating at home or in a restaurant consume? (I’m pretty sure I eat way too much.)

1 Like

Hi @Saregama ,

Thanks. :slight_smile: We missed eating Ethiopian cuisine as well during 2020.

I will definitely ask Chef Rahel or her staff the next time we visit about your question. I’m curious as well now that you brought it up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love Ethiopian food, too. First got acquainted with it during my Oakland days. There was a large Ethiopian/Eritrean community in Temescal. I never looked back since, and will eat Ethiopian wherever I find one.

The last time I had one was at the Queen of Sheba in London. I was with two vegetarian friends, so we ordered this:

Consisted of kik alich’a we’t (split yellow peas with turmeric, ginger and green chilli), gomen (fresh spinach sautéed with onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno ), misir we’t (spicy red lentils stew simmered in the chef’s special hot sauce), atkelt we’t (fresh cabbage sautéed with slices of potato and carrot) and fresh salad.

2 Likes

Hi @klyeoh ,

That looks so good! :blush: Thanks for the rec on Queen of Sheba.

1 Like