Burger experts: how do I make a "smooth" burger?

That tank of a grinder will last a lifetime or 2 or 3…

I have a grinder like this one

My typical burger is made from chuck. Sometimes blended with brisket. Hand formed, 6 oz is my norm

I have never worried about how smooth the sides were when forming a burger. I use an old large tomato can which is placed on a zeroed scale to get a uniform size and shape but finished by hand

Whether or not water has been added during grinding might be a factor. If packaged ground meat looks like strands or wavy worms, no water was added. If it was, the grind will be more of an even mass.

Filler may be a complete no-no, but I find that a teaspoon of dried breadcrumbs (store bought) mixed into each burger’s worth of meat transforms the patty into a much tighter and denser product. Much nearer your first pic than the last pic.

Also, it may be that the restaurant’s bought-in patties sit stacked in packaging for a couple of days, and get agitated in transit. This could cause the texture to settle somewhat, compared to a home-made item which might only be formed a few minutes prior to grilling.

1 Like

When I was researching how to make smooth and springy meat and fish balls I learnt that the meat is ground or pounded to a super fine paste, and some lye water is added to it. For burgers I think at least a fine grind is needed.

I t already has Scuba. I didn’t buy it new… actually I found it at a garage sale & refurbished it myself.

What do you estimate its age is? 50’s? Is there a date on that metal label? The grinding attachment shows significant age and love the race car red paint job

Older - 20’s or 30’s judging by the motor. It’s a repulsion/induction motor. Red was the original color.

1 Like

I have the Kitchenaid attachment, which is mostly plastic. I just upgraded at Christmas to a heftier, all-metal attachment made by another company to fit the Kitchenaid, which I’m hoping will give me better results, especially in terms of staying cold. If I could find a beast like JoeBabbit has, I might consider a freestanding!

I will have to look for this the next time I’m there. I bought ground beef there once but wasn’t pleased with the quality so I haven’t tried again.

Very interesting- I didn’t realize that! Something to look out for while shopping.

Another good point. Maybe I’ll try forming up my burgers in advance next time and see what happens.

Yes, I have found the fine paste to be very important for smooth meatballs. When I want springy-ness, I also mix the meatball mixture enough to get to the primary bind stage, like with sausage - than much kneading is a big no-no in burger making, though, or at least according to most expert advice. Maybe I should just try it sometime and see what happens!

1 Like

https://www.sutterhome.com/recipes/lamburgers-ala-grecque-with-cilantro-mint-chutney/?age-verified=dff657fa4c
When I saw lamb burgers I thought of my buddy Rob who won a contest with this. Then I realized it was a mix of meats.
Interesting. Sorry if this is straying too far afield, but I didn’t want to start a new topic for one post.

Not at all - these look fantastic. I am saving this recipe for sure. Interesting that the directions say “handling the meat as little as possible, mix well.” Kind of an oxymoron! :joy:

Not a burger expert… but…

When I tried recipes from the book Kachka, there was an “emulsifying” process for ground meat kababs and dumpling fillings that I’ve also come across in some asian recipes - add some ice cold water to the ground meat and mix until the water and fat emulsify.

The resulting mixture had a different surface and interior texture when cooked - smoother and softer. Contrary to everything I previously learned about not overworking ground meat…

1 Like

Yes, this is the process I was referring to in sausage making, known as “primary bind.” It definitely makes a smoother texture but I wouldn’t describe it as softer when making sausage - it’s more springy. However, sausage has a lot more fat than your typical burger (or kebab) - I wonder whether that matters. Possibly mixing it short of the “bind” stage but enough to develop some protein bonds is the answer. Or just rolling the exterior of the patty to develop those bonds on the outside while the inside stays looser? Hmmmmmmm…

I think the difference is using a “mold”, (for lack of a better word) vs. hand forming the patties.

I have a cheap one I sometimes use that works great for up to 6 oz burgers. It’s got a spring loaded top you press down on to form a perfect patty and also gives a good smooth exterior.

I don’t have time to look for it now but search for burger mold or burger press or something like that.

Here’s the description in Kachka via google books:

1 Like

That grinder cost me $10 Bio. The custom blend comes in a square bag - not a tube.

That is amazing! I will have to keep an eye out at vintage shops or yard sales. And thanks for the tip on Restaurant Depot - I’ll look for that packaging next time I’m there.

It’s a combination of two things to get the results you encountered. The first has been partially discussed. The burgers are pressed, quite firmly, in a burger press which molds them to the shape. But the second is the meat needs to be very cold, almost frozen, when ground and especially when pressed.