Burbelmaiers - savory meat pies in Ocean Grove

DID YOU LIKE THEM? Inquiring minds and all that…

I have not seen the avengers.

That’s a rather personal question …

Oh yeah, this is a food site, ooops.

So, the quiche was devoured quickly and I liked the one small bite I had. I always love their pork pie so that one was a gimmee. As for the lamb curry, I make a similar pie using beef and japanese curry and I like mine better. Nothing against Burbelmaiers version, but I found their’s a little overpowering.

The apple tart for dessert was amazing. Rivaling my beloved Delicious Orchards apple crumb cake for sheer apple-y goodness.

3 Likes

Dinners are back! Indian!

Yup! Only problem is there’s no date on there, AND the Reserve button isn’t working (I already emailed them)…

I think it’s Oct 26th. Strange don’t know where I saw that date though

It wasn’t on the email I got, I didn’t see it on the link you shared, and there’s nothing on their website. Maybe Facebook? I’m not on that…

It’s in the description on the link I posted but agree the reserve button not working

OMG there it is! That’s what I get for trying to read the teeny tiny print on my phone… I went looking for it down at the bottom where it had the amount and the timing… Thanks!

ETA They sent out a follow-up email and they have fixed the Reserve button.

1 Like

I forgot to post this! Earlier in the year I had the pleasure of experiencing the family table meal here thanks to a generous friend. It was a Cinco de Mayo event, so Mexican it was.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the meal - the hosts and guests were all so warm and welcoming, and from the conversations it seemed like many of them were repeat visitors. And of course, being a Cinco de Mayo event, the tequila was flowing!

Unfortunately I don’t have a whole lot of good things to say about the meal itself - this was a $75 meal, which is approaching Nicholas tasting menu pricing, and the food just wasn’t up to that kind of level in either preparation or ingredient.

First course was chips and salsa. The mango salsa was tasty - but not beyond what you or I would have made at home. The chips were fried nicely and warm. Not a bad start.

Second course! It was a quesadilla. Nicely presented, I can’t remember the filling now but it was tender and delicious. I think it was a mole thing. But there’s that same mango salsa again… at this point I’m looking for a little more heat. Whatever, we still have 3 courses to go.

Next round was elotes. Mexican street corn. It was nicely done, I love elotes and I would happily eat this again. At what price though?

The main course was some kind of stewed pork, with rice and beans… AND THAT MANGO SALSA AGAIN! Fortunately the salsa didn’t really bother me here, as the dish was really, really delicious. I would say the only thing I ate this evening that felt like it might belong on a 75$ menu. Everything was well executed and I had no complaints… but at this point my brain is doing the math… 75$, 4 courses done, and so far the only premium ingredient that’s gone in my belly is maybe 5 ozs of pork with the main and maybe 3 oz of chicken or whatever from the quesadilla… the rest was rice beans and corn every step of the way… where’s the value?

Dessert was flan. It was very good.

Overall I had a wonderful time with the dinner and company here, but the price point really seemed out of whack. I really respect and appreciate what they are trying to do here, but it was a really big letdown from a food snob’s perspective. Same salsa being reused in 3 courses, lack of premium/novel ingredients. Aside from the main course there really wasn’t anything signficantly better than any local run of the mill Mexican place would be putting out. I’m just sad I missed the previous meal, because the Persian dinner looked SO GOOD!

5 Likes

Aahhh, I love mango salsa too. But reusing it three times? Definitely disappointing. Thanks for the report!

2 Likes

Well, if you want to spend $125 per person, I just got this:

Not something I go to as I only appreciate truffle in small doses, but my biggest complaint is that they really don’t give much notice… I don’t know about you, but I have things on my calendar into December at this point!

2 Likes

I might be one of the few people that really dislikes truffles. Granted, I’ve never had them whole or fresh but truffle oil is very ick to me.

I’m a big truffle fan but that is an awful lot of truffle for one sitting. It does look interesting.

The 50 and 60 dollar dinners at big Mike’s little red store look really good on paper. That is on my list.

Joon, I would personally have been pretty disgruntled for a 4 course Mexican meal for 75, plus tip. I dont think the “yum factor” was there.

2 Likes

Big difference between the real stuff and the oil. The oil is best used in doses small enough where you’re not even quite sure it’s there. With the real stuff you can just pack as much of it on the dish as you want and it just gets better.

Back in the day my friends and I used to seek out truffle tasting menus when it was in season… 125 ain’t bad in this day and age but I’d like to see more than 1 protein on the menu.

Like others have mentioned, I think truffle is better when it’s not in every course, then it’s a special moment - otherwise you sort of get tired of the same flavor by the end.

@corvette_johnny it was a perfectly tasty meal, just not 75 bucks worth of tasty. For that money you would think they could have squeezed in a seafood dish or something - some ceviche, shrimp coctel, whatever. Or something unusual like huitlacohe or whatever.

3 Likes

Fresh is DEFINITELY different… truffle oil is almost exclusively over-used, imo!

1 Like

Thanks @CurlzNJ and @joonjoon for the comments! I hate when perfectly good fries are ruined by truffle oil!!!

2 Likes

Same here!

1 Like

I can’t find the thread where it was mentioned, but someone was looking for Italian Easter pies… Here’s one spot where you can find them!

On Mar 31, 2020, at 6:51 AM, BURBELMAIERS messages@squaremktg.com wrote:

Have questions? Reply to this email and we’ll respond as soon as possible.

BURBELMAIERS64x64
BURBELMAIERS

PIZZA RUSTICA,

the magical once-a-year Italian Easter Pie is here!

There’s A LOT to our PIZZA RUSTICA!

Prosciutto

Capicola

Salami

Soppressata

Mozzarella

Fontina

Provolone

Pecorino

…wrapped with Eggs in a Golden Crust.

Honestly, one of the best pies EVER.

Taking pre-orders through Sunday, April 5th

Pick-up Friday and Saturday April 10th & 11th

8" (serves 8-12) $110

6" (serves 4-6) $55

BUONA PASQUA!!

I’LL TAKE ONE!!!

And as is our new normal,

we have a variety of PIES, SIDES, SOUP, and now TAKE-AND-BAKE SCONES!

Order online and pick-up on the porch this weekend!

Fri-Sun

noon-4pm

Follow us on social media for up-to-date specials.

Facebook Page40x40 Business Website40x40
BURBELMAIERS
69 Main Ave, Ocean Grove, NJ, 07756
Unsubscribe or Manage Preferences
40x40

3 Likes

We had one last year. Amazing! Authentic and as good as my mom used to make.

2 Likes