Burbelmaier's Ocean Grove NJ Pickup Thanksgiving Meal

I just got an email from them. You have to order by Thursday, but they are preparing a full Thanksgivng Dinner available for pickup. Here’s the menu:

1st course
Butternut squash bisque

2nd course
Goat cheese and walnut filo parcels

3rd course
Turkey Wellington: turkey breast filled with cranberry preserves wrapped with mushroom duxelle and proscuitto, encased in puff pastry and baked to golden perfection
Shaved brussel sprouts with bacon
Classic sausage dressing
Our velvety mashed potatoes
Turkey gravy

3rd course
Bourboned Hudson Valley apple galette with cheddar cheese shortcrust

This is dinner for two for $130.

Pick up Tuesday or Wednesday before Tanksgiving

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I doubt I’ll order from them but may use some of their menu items. I’m in a TD rut.

1 Like

Because of “traditional” tastes, I don’t think our menu will be changing much this year. Mom has her preferences. But, I’m intrigued by the filo parcels. Seems you can fill them with anything, sweet or savory. I’m wondering about a date, cream cheese possibility. Now I’ve got something yummy to think about!

I get traditional tastes. For many years I essentially made 2 dinners - one for the traditional eaters (Primarily white food though canned corn was allowed ) and one for the more adventurous. Last year it was just the 3 of us but I was working crazy hours and went traditional though I switched up duck for turkey. This year it’s just the 3 of us again but I have a lot more time so I’m thinking about really changing. We shall see. Mr Bean is on call that week and may need more comfort food than normal.

Those parcels sounded intriguing. I plan on making sure I have filo in my freezer “just in case”. I think your date/cream cheese combo sounds yummy. I used to love date nut bread with cream cheese. Haven’t had it in ages.

1 Like

SAME! These were staples in my dorm room fridge a million years ago…

1 Like

I wonder if the bread is still around. I’m feeling a bit nostalgic and date but bread would be perfect.

Far as I know, yes! In the refrigerator case!

1 Like

I too have been thinking of that bread, and yes it was in the refrigerated case. However, last year when I went to buy it around the holidays, it was GONE! I’ve only checked ShopRite and Foodtown, so I don’t know about anyplace else.

It made me decide to make my own date nut bread, which turned out great. I got the dates from Costco, and both the dates and bread were delicious.

2 Likes

Now you’ve done it, @heidicooksandbakes ! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Would you mind sharing the recipe? I’m pretty sure I could talk The Sprout into baking for me

1 Like

This is an Epicurious recipe. I have upped the date quotient by adding an additional cup of chopped dates to increase the date factor. It also has a nice lemony taste. It’s less molassesy like the one from the supermarket. I also don’t like walnuts, so I always use pecans when nuts are called for.

Bake time: large loaf pan 50 minutes total, 3 small loaf pans: 35 minutes total

6 ounces chopped pitted dates (about 1 heaping cup packed)
3/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 large egg
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted and rough chopped
1 cup dates, chopped (for adding in the end)

You can also guild the lily by sprinkling some additional roughly chopped pecans on the top.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.

Combine dates and 3/4 cup boiling water in medium bowl. Let stand until just cool, about 15 minutes.

Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into small bowl.

Beat butter in stand mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar, then egg, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.

Mix in dry ingredients in 3 additions: flour, then date/water mixture, flour, date/water mixture, flour. Stir in pecans and extra dates.

Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. (200-205 degrees)

Let cool for 15 minutes. Cut around pan sides; turn bread out onto rack. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and store at room temperature.)

Let me know if the Sprout gives it a try!

2 Likes

Thank you!

We must all be the same age.

1 Like

Yup!