Buffet with oysters on half shell

My wife and I feel like oysters but also don’t feel like dropping a few hundred at a seafood restaurant like Salt or The Blue Point Grill. Anyone been to a good buffet lately that has oysters on the half shell? Bonus points for being close to Middletown.

I would be leery of oysters on a buffet, as you have no idea how long they’ve been sitting there.

3 Likes

I don’t ‘seek out’ raw bars, as a result I’ve only ever seen oysters/half shell at one (Mother’s Day) buffet . . . . my reaction was similar . . . ‘uhmmm, maybe not . . .’

from our seating I could see the ‘raw bar’ behind the buffet line. then I took note - they were shucking, and the waitstaff brought out fresh iced trays with ~10 just shucked oysters when the existing was gone . . . so yeah, I went back for more, twice!

2 Likes

Rooney’s in Long Branch is a good place for you guys if you’re into a. brunch buffet also check out American Hotel in Freehold seafood buffet until Lent

2 Likes

There are a number of “flaming grill/supreme buffets” in NJ, somehow they all share similar names but also seem to be independently owned. So far all of them I know have oysters on the buffet. In general though there’s something about buffet oysters that don’t quite taste like the ones you get at a regular oyster place. Maybe they are old? Or it’s the ambiance?

But if you love oysters and don’t mind the “buffet quality” those are all nice. If you don’t mind trekking a little more, the best buffet I’ve experienced in the “area” is Eat Well Modern Buffet in North Plainfield.

1 Like