British food

Devonshire Clotted Cream.

1 Like

You forgot this!

2 Likes

Yum!

No such thing in the UK.

Is it Stichelton a cheese that uses unpasteurised cheese made the same way but can’t be called Stilton because the PDO for stilton specifies pasteurised milk.

1 Like

Why do you say its a Newcastle speciality…? Black Pudding is made all over the UK with lots of regional variation.

Good black pudding is fantastic but there is a lot of bloody awful stuff out there as well - too much cereal filler and overcooked and served dry.

Not certain it every went out of fashion with those who love good food. Its like good beer: it went underground for many years but has come back with the renewed interest in quality etc.

How does it compare to European versions from France, Spain and Italy. Sort off like asking how different UK regions compare - all good just different. Just make certain you get the good stuff.

Now if you are offered a black pudding sausage roll in a decent pub that can be a real treat.

Did you forget to put the bread in the toaster…?

1 Like

That can’t be correct. In Devon you always put the cream on first then the jam. It’s the Cornish version that puts the jam on first.

Viking - no wonder you ate so badly when you visited the UK - you must do far more research. Its as bad as saying all BBQ in the US tastes the same…!

3 Likes

I roast chicken thighs on discs of BP for about 45 minutes. The BP semi dissolves into a lovely savoury mush!

1 Like

True Phil, and I think that the wonderful Stichelton is made by an American. Some Stiltons are very nearly as good though. Colston Bassett in particular, IMO.

1 Like

I’ve never had the French varieties but have eaten my share of Spanish morcilla. Even still it’s quite regional; the Borgos variety contains rice and cumin, and is quite loosely packed, causing it to fall apart more.

Whereas in the UK most black pudding is made from dried blood, I imagine (no facts here) that the Spanish still use fresh blood, as they have a larger pork industry.

1 Like

Yes it was a Stichelton, had to see if you guys were napping.

Of course from your avatar one could assume that you would know unpasteurized when you see it.

Not really sure why these two need a defence.

Mushy peas are, nationwide, the standard accompaniment to fish & chips. Except , of course, if you’ve bought the f & c to eat on your way home from the pub, when the logistics become a bit tricky. The key to good ones is to strike the right balance between mushiness and retaining some texture.

The UK really only has two main centres for the craft production of black pudding - Stornoway and Bury. I’ve no idea what the Stornoway one is like. Bury is on the far side of the metro area from me and the local product is, unsurprisingly, the one I usually come across (even local butchers tend to buy them in rather than make their own). Around here, it is not a breakfast dish. We eat it as a snack - market stalls sell them boiled to be eaten with vinegar, mustard or piccalli. At home, I’d eat it - fried or boiled - as a sandwich or with chips (but not mushy peas), as the main protein for lunch or dinner. This is traditionally poor peoples food, which is probably why it’s more popular in the north than the more affluent south of the country. Local black pudding often appears on restaurant menus - a starter increasingly seen has scallops sat on the pudding, with dabs of cauliflower puree. Nice.

3 Likes

My friend Paul, who practices law in Kentucky, knows another person in my metro area. Paul says he can understand me well enough, so long as I don’t speak too quickly but he really struggles with the accent of the other guy. Twenty miles and such a difference. That said, I need to tune my ears in for a couple of days, when we visit the southern states in America.

1 Like

Some more iconic British foods:

Potted shrimps
Herdwick lamb
Cheshire cheese
Lobscouse
Chorley cake
Cumberland sausage

Those just from northwest England, of course. We’ve already mentioned the region’s two other iconic foods - black pudding and fish & chips (the first documented seller of f & c was in Mossley in 1865).

2 Likes

I can’t sleep at night unless there is a bottle of this in my fridge.

HP Sauce, eh?

A sad end to a great product. Now owned by Americans and produced in the Netherlands.

Gone the same way as Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, also now owned by Heinz.

1 Like

Any discernable changes ? I love, love, love HP sauce.

It’s a love it or hate it thing. I’m a lover.

We have several South Asian grocers nearby, and also a unique “Indian” market. It is British-Indian. They have curry packets, and the Heinz sauce, violet candies, plus frozen samosas and fresh tumeric. This is where I buy my Marmite (although I prefer the Australian version).

3 Likes

No idea. I don’t really like it, so only eat it once in every Preston Guild.

1 Like

Actually Marmite’s advertising slogan in the UK.

It’s a favourite breakfast for my companion in life, who smears it thinly on toast. I’d rather have hot needles poked into my eye!

2 Likes