Brennan's of Houston

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Brennan’s, since it’s typically a special occasion choice. So for a special birthday I visited with my BFF for lunch.

If you haven’t been for lunch, it’s a great time to go. There is a two course lunch special including soup or salad and a choice of 4 entrees for a set price. They have the 25 cent martinis and I sampled the cosmopolitan and the blue curacao “Commander’s Palace Martini” (we were Ubering, though these are small 'tinis). They also had a nice selection of wines special priced at lunch for $7, which my friend enjoyed.

They started us with a crab and tomato amuse bouche and their amazing toast which is like giant crispy croutons. I had the soup of the day (crab and corn) which was not hot enough for me, followed by the crawfish salad which had both fried and sauteed crafish tails on it along with “crawfish boiled vegetables.” The mustardy dressing was great. The birthday girl had their famous crab cake with a little salad greens on the side, which she loved. These crab cakes are all lump crab and are held together only by physics.

For dessert we shared the mini beignets topped with “Imperial powdered sugar,” which begged our order since we grew up in the land of Sugar and former home of Imperial Sugar Co. We chatted with the manager about the good old days touring the factory while in school. He also did that.

Now I’m super stoked for an upcoming trip through NOLA, however brief it will be.

7 Likes

Great report. Nice pics!

I was there on a trip to Texas 40 yrs ago. It was a fabulous meal, preceded by an amaretto old fashioned. I can’t remember the entree, other than it was rich, and seafood. Dessert was my intro to Bananas Foster.

1 Like

I love that place especially at lunch.

Or dinner.

:wink:

I think I remember you once referring to it as the “Queen of Houston Restaurants”, and I absolutely agree.

1 Like