Bread Machine Recipe Exchange

My bread machine’s manual has a recipe for anadama bread and so far all the recipes in the manual have worked well. I think the anadama loaf is good, but it’s the only anadama bread I’ve had, so I don’t have anything to compare it with. I would describe it has somewhat hearty, slightly crumbly, and a little sweet but not a dessert.

Sliced loaf, and toasted as part of a hummus and broccoli sprout sandwich:

Bad news: My machine makes the 3 loaf sizes but for some reason they only give this one in 1.5 lb. and 2 lb. If you have a 1 lb.-only machine, you might try downsizing it. Here’s the recipe in the manual. And here are the weights I’ve used, if you go by that instead of cups and spoons:

1.5 lb. 2 lb.
Boiling water 255 g 341 g
Oatmeal 20 g 27 g
Cornmeal 20 g 29 g
Oil 25 g 37 g
Molasses 43 g 64 g
Dry milk 28 g 37 g
Salt 9 g 11 g
Whole wheat flour 156 g 234 g
Bread flour 241 g 301 g
Vital wheat gluten 15 g 23 g
Active dry yeast 6 g 7 g

Note that you mix the boiling water, oatmeal, and cornmeal in a bowl and let sit for 20 minutes, then add it to the bread machine’s pan with the remaining ingredients. Run the Whole Wheat program or similar.

2 Likes

Nice! I like the addition of oatmeal; it’s a nice twist. FYI, most traditional anadama bread I’ve had doesn’t include oatmeal. It’s normally just a moderately dense bread with wheat, cornmeal and molasses (and other typical bread ingredients). The molasses adds a mild sweetness, and it’s fantastic toasted with butter.

2 Likes

HONEY ‘N OATS BREAD from Bread Machine Magic P. 86 (Rehberg & Conway)

A semi whole wheat loaf with buttermilk, honey, egg and uncooked rolled oats.

I like this loaf better than the previous ww loaf I tried – it delivers both on texture and flavor. I’ll be tempted to add a teaspoon of VWG to my next loaf, and see if I can’t achieve just a slightly lighter texture. Pretty good as written, in any case.

Recipe is for a one 1-lb. loaf.

Course 4 Whole Wheat. Medium crust.

3/4 c. to 7/8 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 T. honey
1 c. whole wheat flour < — I used 120 g. white whole wheat
1 c. bread flour < — I used 120 g.
1/3 c. rolled oats < — I used 32 g.
1 t. granulated salt
1 ½ t. active dry yeast < — I used 1 1/8 t. bread machine yeast

2 Likes

HONEY ‘N OATS BREAD from Bread Machine Magic P. 86 (Rehberg & Conway)

A semi whole wheat loaf with buttermilk, honey, egg and uncooked rolled oats.

I like this loaf better than the previous ww loaf I tried – it delivers both on texture and flavor. I’ll be tempted to add a teaspoon of VWG to my next loaf, and see if I can’t achieve just a slightly lighter texture. Pretty good as written, in any case.

Recipe is for a one 1-lb. loaf.
Course 4 Whole Wheat. Medium crust.

3/4 c. to 7/8 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 T. honey
1 c. whole wheat flour < — I used 120 g. white whole wheat
1 c. bread flour < — I used 120 g.
1/3 c. rolled oats < — I used 32 g.
1 t. granulated salt
1 ½ t. active dry yeast < — I used 1 1/8 t. bread machine yeast

1 Like

Today I made a loaf using King Arthur’s sandwich bread for the Mini Zo recipe:

I didn’t have milk so I added the weight of the milk in water and added powdered milk (0.75tsp Bob’s Red Mill powdered milk)

It came out well, soft and fluffy crumb. It rose a lot, hitting the top of the machine.

4 Likes

In search of greater loft and less density, I reworked the original Honey & Oat recipe (first photo) to change the ratio of flours from 50:50 bread:whole wheat to 60:40, and add 1 t. vital wheat gluten. Results shown in second photo. I’m happy with the improvement.

4 Likes

Three note-worthy bread machine recipes this past week that I’ve mentioned elsewhere here on H.O, but was encouraged to cross-post.

This cinnamon roll dough recipe that started the ball rolling, when my old bread machine would not work Christmas Eve. After I soldiered on and used mixer, hand-kneading and lots of patience for rise times some extra-sweet cinnamon rolls came out of the oven. We’ve now decided that half the filling and half the frosting would be a better sweetness level for us. But the dough portion is great and technique description was helpful to me.

The first loaf in the new Hamilton Beach 29882 machine (found from a local seller at half price) was Buttermilk Oatmeal. I keep SACO buttermilk powder on hand (refrigerated) for other recipes so used water as the liquid and added the powder with the flour. Very pleased with the result . Mine looks just like the picture on the recipe link, just not so evenly sliced. And we especially enjoyed it toasted for sandwiches.

Prompted by a question from my husband “can it make beer bread” (his favorite) - I tried that yesterday, using the Quick Bread setting, medium crust. The answer is YES – same ingredients as my usual oven Beer Bread version, just skipped the melted butter on top. Photo over on the Dec WAYB discussion.

4 Likes

I made the Bran Bread recipe that came with my Hamilton Beach. It seriously lacks salt. The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. and two other recipes that I found in books I own both call for 1 1/2 tsp salt. I’ll plan to use the rest of the loaf with salty cheeses / deli lunch meat.

2 Likes

I finally got around to making the Barmbrack bread @MunchkinRedux posted last October. Delicious. I made a 2 pound loaf, simply doubling the amounts listed. I used a mix of regular and golden raisins instead of currents, and 2 tsp packed finely-zested fresh lemon peel in place of the powdered peel.

I marred the top of the loaf when the handle of the bread pan swung down as I tipped out the bread.

4 Likes

Yum. That one is on my list to make again soon.

1 Like

Whole wheat hamburger buns, using the Dough cycle, recipe from Bread Machine Magic. My copy of the book does not call for vital wheat gluten, I used the other ingredients exactly as listed, and I’m very happy with the size / shape of the 8 buns.

Reading the comments on the linked site made me laugh. SO so many! changes that what they made was a different recipe entirely!

2 Likes

Repeating myself - Whole wheat hamburger buns today, saving me a trip to the grocery store. Followed by a loaf of Beer Bread, per husband’s request when he saw I had the bread machine out.

I had been flipping through the Bread Machine Magic book, considering various fruit-included breads. Those will need to wait for another day, since there’s a limit to my freezer space for bread storage.

2 Likes

Disappointing. While a perfectly OK very soft-textured whole wheat bread, this Aloha Bread from Bread Machine Magic did not retain the flavor of either the pineapple (8 oz can crushed pineapple, well drained) or coconut (1/3 C) ingredients.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team, in any case!

1 Like

BUTTER MILK RYE from Bread Machine Magic P. 59.

While we love the Dilly Deli Rye recipe from this book and make it often, this one seemed different enough to warrant trying. It calls for buttermilk, butter, and brown sugar as enrichments.

My modifications included increasing the caraway seeds from 1 t. to 2 tablespoons, using 1 ½ t. instant yeast as opposed to 2 t. active dry yeast, and adding ½ t. KAF rye flavor enhancer. No other changes.

While I like the Dilly Deli version mentioned above for lox and deli-style sandwiches, this one is a bit sweeter, with nice tang and plenty of rye flavor. I can see it making an awesome breakfast sandwich with bacon and egg. Nice rise. Nice aroma. Nice crumb. Will make again.

Here’s the recipe for a 1-lb. loaf as written:

7/8 to 1 c. buttermilk
1 t. granulated salt
1 T. salted butter
1 ½ T. dark brown sugar
2 c. bread flour < — I calculated 240 g.
1/3 c. rye flour < — I calculated 38 g.
1 t. caraway seeds < — I use 2 T.
2 t. active dry yeast < — I use 1 1/2 t. instant yeast

5 Likes

Sweet Oatmeal (7-grain hot cereal) Bread - Bread Machine Magic p 69

This is a sturdy bread that can be thinly sliced. I’ve made it in 2 prior bread machines (12 years apart) and now my Hamilton Beach. I still have 7-grain hot cereal in the freezer, purchased for Bread, Toast Crumbs no-knead bread and used that in place of the oatmeal in this recipe.

Good as a basic sandwich or toast bread. The molasses and sugar add just a touch of sweet.

5 Likes

HEAVENLY WHOLE WHEAT from Bread Machine Magic P. 41

An enriched, partial whole wheat loaf which incorporates potato flakes, butter and a little sugar. You can see from the photo I got a small pocket at the top - too much rise. We liked the flavor and soft texture of the bread, so next time I’ll shave off a bit of the yeast to see it that helps.

For a 1 lb. loaf, here is the recipe as written in the book:

3/4 c. to 7/8 c. water			
3 T. salted butter			
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour	<--- I calculated 160 g.
2/3 c. bread flour		<--- I calculated 80 g.
3 T. instant potato flakes		
2 T. vital wheat gluten		
1 T. granulated sugar		
1 1/2 t. active dry yeast	<--- I calculated 1 1/8 t. instant yeast
1 t. granulated salt			

4 Likes

Following up on HEAVENLY WHOLE WHEAT from Bread Machine Magic, pictured directly above.

It took me a few tries to eliminate the over-proofing and resulting bubble at the top of the loaf. Some of my attempts at adjusting the amounts of liquid and yeast were more disasterous than others.

Ultimately, what solved it was to use the original recipe (the conversion to instant yeast from ADY the only change), keep all my ingredients at room temp but not warmer (I have a habit of warming the water to increase the dough temperature and encourage rise, but here that worked to the opposite effect), and to bake on the basic cycle, and not the whole wheat cycle. That latter move served to shorten the proof time, and lower the temperature of the proof, as well.

I’m not sure why this particular recipe was problematic, as all the other WW breads I’ve made do fine at on the whole-wheat setting. But all’s well that ends well. A good tasting WW loaf with nice texture, and no gap at the top.

Sharing my experience with trouble-shooting.

5 Likes

2 lb bread was mixed in bread machine on dough mode. Second rise in a 13x4 pullman . Baked at 350 for 25 minutes cover off 20 minutes.

4 Likes

The Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook currently free in the U.S. for Kindle Unlimited members.

2 Likes