Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Olive oil chocolate cake

9 Likes

These are a few of my favorite things!

Ginger molasses. Flour bakery cookbook.

6 Likes

I just sang your comment.

1 Like

How many of you ate on your hands and knees peering though the oven door while the good are baking ? I sure am . Lol . Watching great British baking show .

4 Likes

3 Likes

Madelines from Dorie Greenspan. Easy and delicious but she mentions to eat them immediately. Quite true as this morning I would say they were inedible unless reheated.

7 Likes

Looks good. How did you keep them?

One of the best madelines I’ve made were with Earl Gray tea leaves with orange zest. I don’t like them too cooked as they dry out fast and become cookie like.

1 Like

Overnight on a plate covered w plastic hat. They were delicious yesterday and pretty good reheated this morning. Next time I’ll only bake half the batter one day and next day the rest.

2 Likes

Baking day.

I baked regular no-knead bread that I started a few days ago and refrigerated after the first rise. Went for a batard shape, which rounded out a bit but still gave me a more rectangular loaf than before (or oval?), which was the goal.

Also baked a GF loaf for the kids. I play with the combination of flours each time. I added a bit of a new entrant this time - cassava. I was planning a rectangular / oval loaf for this one too, but my young sous chef had very strong feelings - “it looks like the FANCY bread ONLY when it’s ROUND.” Sigh. Ok.

Everything sliced up and frozen.

12 Likes

Beauties!

1 Like

I like the looks of it! Description please!

Mini tarts.

Almond and walnut on the left, and raspberry chocolate on the right.

1 Like

Pls elaborate on the raspberry chocolate tart. How did you put together the filling.

Put the raspberries in a saucepan with some sugar, brought to a boil, then simmered for about 5 minutes. Let cool (to lazy to strain out the seeds, but that’s up to you).

Then tempered the chocolate and slowly incorporated the raspberry puree.

4 Likes

And the crust? What mix did you use there?

Flours, sugar, water, butter, egg yolk.

I adapted this recipe for flower rolls to use sourdough starter vs yeast. The purple is from milled purple barley that I added to bread flour (I never have AP flour on hand, so I improvise). The texture was denser than what I wanted, so more experimentation is in order.

8 Likes

Maybe try to use some cake or pastry flour (blended with the AP flour), with your purple barley mixed in?

That looks fantastic, by the way.

1 Like

Interesting. I have not tried a steamed bun, only scallion pancakes…which I realize are different. Looks tasty.