Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

@Lambchop @naf

Half (1 egg) fits perfectly in a loaf pan, less guilt/temptation.

Take a look at pics - recipe makes a dense, fudgy brownie - closer to a flourless chocolate cake.

You can lighten it a bit with a rad bit more flour and a pinch of BP. And you can safely round down the butter to the stick, lol.

Chocolate chips and nuts optional.

3 Likes

Thanks @Saregama - I’m overdue for baking something and indulging. Will try the 1/2 recipe of AM. Full nuts though!

I don’t know much about him. I just checked his website, SCOALA STEPHANE GLACIER BUCAREST was opened in 2015. Actually he is MOF and has held several teaching posts in many pastry schools and has been the coach for French team of the 2006 pastry world cup. Discovered he has a shop in Colombes, maybe will go to have a try, it’s not too far from my place.

1 Like

Got a blowtorch! To try the new toy, I made creme brulée. Sublime!

8 Likes

Should be a nice experience.

1 Like

Choux aux craquelin for Easter. Wanted to try these for a long time. A LOT of work but delicious and worth it. Choux was looser than I wanted but the end result worked out fine. My big error was making them the night before—-they crispy tops become soft but were rescued by a brief oven warming.

Also made some eclairs and we did a 2 hr country drive delivering them to friends and family.

9 Likes

They must be gone instantly, looked good!

Luckily you could save them. Choux have to be consumed on the same day they are baked. If you want to make the shells beforehand, you can freeze them and reheat in oven.

Have you tried freezing before baking?

Freezing before baking? No. I checked and read a bit on the subject, it is possible.

Birthday cake 2 weekends ago. It was Stella Park’s Devil’s Food cake.

14 Likes

Gorgeous, and happy birthday!

2 Likes

Happy birthday! That looks terrific, and I live the chocolate curls. That really elevates the whole look!

How did it taste?

1 Like

Happy birthday!! Great cake! Love the chocolate coffee combination. How much time have you used from the start to finish in making this cake?

1 Like

Auguri = Best wishes and Happy Birthday.

Beautiful cake …

1 Like

It tasted amazing. We used Stella Park’s Swiss meringue buttercream recipe, next time will be doing American buttercream. I eat like 4 slices myself.

3 Likes

We actually used tea instead of coffee. It took about 2 hours active time (washing dishes, prepping the pans, making the cakes, frosting, etc). Cool down was about 2-3 hours for us. The longest and most tedious task was making the Swiss meringue buttercream frosting. The texture for the frosting was velvety. It has a light mouth feel even though it’s a rich frosting.

4 Likes

I made GF aebleskivers and doughnut holes on a lark.

The aebleskivers were good, but not what we were after. Of course they are puffy pancakes - and we wanted doughnuts.

The donut holes were surprisingly good! They were like old fashioned doughnuts, but with a slightly firmer shell.

I used powdered sugar on a few, and vanilla glaze on the rest. The glazed were the fan favorite.

9 Likes

That glaze looks perfect! What’s the ratio for that?

1 Like

This doughnut holes look awesome! And the glaze looks perfect!!!

An wait - were the doughnut holes GF as well? If so, you have done the impossible. Very jealous but, happy for you : )

1 Like

Umm… I didn’t measure :joy:

I have in the past, though, and have had failed glazes.

I took probably 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, added a few drops of vanilla extract, and then water little by very little till it turned into a paste, and then thinned it slightly.