Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

I give you an A+ @Rooster!

It can be difficult to find good phyllo dough! We’ve had to throw some away outright due to it being stuck together horribly. It’s not really brand specific, but rather due to handling issues in the supply chain. Inevitably it can thaw, be refrozen, and then sold. In some preps it doesn’t matter too much and can be patched. Or the torn up sheets can be used for the bottom of the pan.

In any case yours looks good. Most recipes produce more syrup than is needed, and I’d rather have too little, than overly saturated baklava. If you feel yours is too dry, you could still add a bit more syrup to it. If I may ask, what recipe did you use?

1 Like

I used this adaptation as a guide

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The photo was straight out of the oven. Later I dusted ground cardamom and ground pistachio over the top and 6 hours later the syrup had soaked up the phyllo considerably and didn’t appear quite as torn. My neighbor enjoyed it. My wife and I wouldn’t call it the best but it has potential.

I didn’t realize how forgiving baklava making really is. There are a few things I’ll do differently but it wasn’t intimidating at all.

2 Likes

Good to hear you didn’t find it intimidating! It’s fun to play and tinker with - I’m sure you could amp up the flavor with some Burlap and Barrel spices. I’ve always wanted to add some mini chocolate chips to a batch. Maybe this coming Christmas…

Phyllo is an incredible wrapper or base for things, sweet or savory, with the possibilities being almost endless. It’s also lower in calories and fat than traditional pie crusts - bonus. I’ve always preferred a lighter hand with the butter when it comes to using phyllo.

1 Like

Phyllo comes in two thicknesses. If in using the thin stuff I do it 2 sheets at a time. Seems to work out about the same but easier to peel 9ff the stack.

I have seen puff pastry in diff styles but not phyllo. I will dbl ck next time.

Wonderbread from bravetart. Good flavor and soft texture. Next time I’ll try her whole wheat version.

10 Likes

I have an amazing recipe from: A classic, iconoclastic food professionals aimed cultural organisation named:

HELLENIC FOREIGN TRADE BOARD, S.A. ( HEPO )

More than 80 traditional and innovative Greek Chefs have provided the recipes.

It is an amazing book if you are a fan of Greek Cuisine.

Each recipe has the traditional and the modernist version.

Have a nice wkend.

1 Like

@Barca, do you have a recipe to share?

Gorgeous!

1 Like

@rooster You might have to visit a Greek or Turkish store to find both thicknesses of filo. I can only find the 2 types at Greek or Turkish markets in Toronto. Most national chain grocery stores only carry the thinner filo. The thicker filo is sometimes called village-style.

Thanks @Phoenikia. Next time I’ll widen my search. I plan on making spinach pie with the boxI have left at some point.

Anothsrvtrick to spinach pie is to use leeks instead of onions. Most grocery stores only carry thin phyllo. Restaurant Depot has both.

2 Likes

Let me see if I have some time this week to post it …

I may photograph or scan the recipe page and see if it is crystal clear to read.

1 Like

Madelines with the younger kid, who adores them.

Dorie’s recipe with modifications - GF pancake/waffle mix (ha) and ghee in lieu of melted butter.

Kid was SO excited - all he wanted to do was crack eggs :joy:

Somehow we got all the ingredients out and measured, but of course in the “excitement”- and right after saying me how “baking is precise” - instead of putting the sugar and eggs in their own bowl, he measured in the ghee too. :woman_facepalming:t2:

I had a moment of panic - the whole thing depends on precise order, no? But… I guess we are doing this whichever way it’s unfolding now… :woman_shrugging:t2: So we creamed the butter, sugar, and fat together (by hand). It was fine. It was light and fluffy. All good.

The batter chilled while we ate dinner, then we baked off three batches for dessert.

Delicious! And a successful baking experiment for the kiddo, phew!

(As an aside, I didn’t love the silicone pan… it did ease removal, but the bottoms didn’t brown like in a metal pan. Trying to decide of we need a metal pan :thinking: - or if this was a one-and-done.)

9 Likes

I had another bake sale this weekend, this time for the Richmond Emergency Food Pantry. These are durum wheat sourdoughs (75% freshly milled durum wheat, 25% white bread flour). Durum flour is so delicious! These loaves smelled and tasted so nutty, and their crumb is a sunny yellow.

12 Likes

*MadelEines - thanks for nothing, autocorrect!

1 Like

Oh, the browing on that is gorgeous! And beautiful crumb!

3 Likes

I love how you score those, they look so beautiful!

5 Likes

I am continuing to understand how my proofer works. I have it on 80 degrees, and my dough has been fermenting in the refrigerator. It took over three hours for it to be ready to bake.

This time it wasn’t as crispy as I’d like, so I’m continuing to tweak the baking temperature and lid on/lid off combinations.

But those are minor. The bread tasted fantastic!

10 Likes

Gorgeous bread …

1 Like