Bread bake and sweet treats, what are you making 2021

Gorgeous!

1 Like

It looks lucious!

2 Likes

Today I made my very first batch of speculaas (Dutch spice cookies) to give to our neighbor. Her oven isn’t working and parts to fix it are no longer available, so she’s not baking this season. Good reason to try out a new-to-me recipe, right?

The recipe is less fussy and more forgiving than I expected. These cookies took well to bumping up the amount of spices, which is something the recipient and I both enjoy. Will make these again.

6 Likes

Aren’t you nice and my goodness they are pretty!

2 Likes

Aww, thanks [blushes]. Simply repaying a kindness. My neighbor has graced us with her delicious homemade cookies many times.

2 Likes

The kitchen has morphed into the Greek Pastry kitchen once again. Baklava, koularakia and nut filled cookies that are NOT melamakarona - the closest I could find is Isli. There is even some doubt within the family. If anyone could enlighten me, I’d appreciate it.

These have or will be gifted, with a few reserved.

ETA: the nut filled cookies are quite fussy & these were the 1st attempt ever. Turned out amazing - my favorite of all the Greek pastries, by far. The dough is more like pate brisee than cookie dough - no eggs or leavening.

9 Likes

What makes it maple? Syrup? Extract? Quantity?

2 Likes

Spectacular!

Thank you! Think I’m going to make another Greek cookie tomorrow - Paxemadia, which is very similar to Biscotti; pretty easy to make too.

3 Likes

What a labor of love. Your lineup looks scrumptious!

4 Likes

Very impressed. I envy those getting them.

2 Likes

Cookies baked packed and mailed or delivered. Such a push to get all the varieties baked and packed and posted but it gave me some Christmas spirit. Christmas = baking😋

10 Likes

Magical! You should be proud of your delicious handiwork.

1 Like

Incredible.

1 Like

Beautiful variety!

1 Like

Wow! What a labor of love!

(I need to get on some of these goodie mailing lists :thinking:)

3 Likes

Koulourakia are one of my favorite cookies. I was thinking about baking a batch thus week

1 Like

So many people love them - they’re nice to have with coffee or tea, and not too sweet. Let us know how they turn out Joe.

2022 new thread is here!!!