Branch 99 Edison

So I get in there now & again for rice wine vinegar, lemongrass & such. The last couple times I went to the little food court & got a sort of sandwich thing. There are 4 or five stands in the food court there & I got this at the one closest to the exit. They have a big flat round grill & they put a square piece of 'bread on it. The bread is maybe 10"x12"? & flat. Kinda like a big square Naan. Then they put a dark brown sauce on it, a handful of scallions & lettuce, a big pile of cumin lamb, some cucumber, carrots & a piece of Romain. Then they roll it up & cut it in half. That thing is really delicious. The lamb is cuminy & spicy. Hot but not hurtful & the flavor is terrific. I have no idea what this thing is called because the menu is all in Chinese but itā€™s really good. Really really good.

OMG. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! #youhadmeatlambcumin :laughing: @joonjoon have you had this??

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s at 99 ranch aka ranch 99. Letā€™s go eat it!!

1 Like

Edited for spelling. Or not.

The place the OP is talking about is an outlet of Kingā€™s Village, who has a restaurant on Rt. 27 in Edison and also sells their (rather good!) refrigerated dumplings in area Asian Markets.

There are other stalls in this food court - Dim Sum, Chinese BBQ (Pork, duck, etc.), Bubble Tea, and a small Chinese Buffet. However, the star here, in my opinion, is ā€œPenang Streetā€. https://www.penang-street.com - Malaysian, Singaporean, and Thai specialties.

Weā€™re still working our way through the menu, but I love the Curry Laksa, Roti Canai, and Noodle Dishes. The only miss we had was the Beef Rendang due to the toughness of the beef.

As an added bonus, they do Rolled Ice Cream!

1 Like

Good to knowā€“and great to see you here, @cranrob!

Thanks :slight_smile: Iā€™ve actually been here for quite awhile, but have been pretty quiet.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Rob. Itā€™s definitely not set up for English speakers - I have a tough time with the menus.

ā€œNot set up for English speakers - I have a tough time with the menus.ā€

Donā€™t be shocked. There are some English speakers that can also read Chinese!! :wink:

2 Likes

Well Iā€™m not one. Iā€™m not shocked - itā€™s just hard to read the menu. Thank god for pictures.

Just pulling your leg.

Pictures and/or plastic food models are very helpful when the menu is not in English, when in doubt, go with the picture.

picture from the web:

2 Likes

Just posting a couple of pictures regarding what JoeBabbitt was talking aboutā€¦

Yeah. It is called ā€œē…Žé¤…ęžœå­ā€. However, I donā€™t think there is an English name (at least widely accepted one) because it isnā€™t really popular yet in English speaking country. Yes, it is usually made on the a similar grill as the crepes grill, maybe a little larger Here is a video:

This store at Ranch 99 (Kingā€™s Village) mostly serves Northern China snacks, like this pancake we mentioned, skew meat and buns. The menu is actually a little disorganized, much likes most mom and pop restaurants.

What I really like is actually the bakery and hot pot restaurant next store to the supermarket (not inside).

(Should we consider changing the title to the name of the restaurant?)

1 Like

Yup - thatā€™s it. The lamb & cumin one is outstanding.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a popular truck in Portland that sells something called ā€œBing miā€ and it looks similar to this. Any idea if itā€™s the same thing?

This? Based the website, Bing Mi makes ā€œJian Bingā€(ē…Žé„¼). Based on their video, they are making the same thing.

https://www.bingmiportland.com/jian-bing-.html

The only small difference is just the names.

Derp! Got the name of the place and the food mixed up. One of my big regrets from my last trip to Portland was not getting to try this cart. Iā€™m glad we have options at the Ranch. :slight_smile: Thanks for the info!

You live near Ranch 99 (or 99 Ranch) in Edison? Anyway, there are several locations up in New York too, particularly Manhattan and Flushing if you are interested.

Mr. Bing is one example: https://www.mr-bing.com/brand-history/

Awesome, I donā€™t get out to Flushing much any more but I will definitely put it on my list for my next trip. Iā€™m about 40 minutes from Edison and itā€™s one of my favorite food destinations in NJ. I used to live in Highland Park, I often contemplate moving back to the area but one drive during rush hour and I remember how much I hated the traffic there.

1 Like

Mr Bing has a stall at the Bryant Park Winter VIllage - really good, but youā€™ll have to wait a few months for that.

1 Like