Bourbon and Rye

My back bar. There are about 6 ‘everyday’ bottles behind the glass.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Should be fine stuff. I just had a True North 20+ year-old Canadien blend of whiskeys.

I’m a very basic gal: Maker’s Mark bourbon (sometimes Maker’s Mark 46) and either Old Overholt or Rittenhouse Rye.

Rittenhouse suits us too.

I like Rittenhouse as well. But I prefer Old Forester Rye 100 proof. Similar price.

But for a few dollars more you can get Redwood Empire Gentle Giant Rye for mid $30’s. Pipe case Bourbon from them is my value price Bourbon.

Fav rye (usually in manhttans) is WhistlePig… fav bourbon (usually straight) varies, but right now it is Knob Creek 9 Y.O.

1 Like

My only comment on the Whistle Pig is pricing. But I have a tea barrel finished rye that is killer!.

1 Like

By the way, Rittenhouse is made by Heaven Hill. They also make Pikesville Rye with the same mashbill {51% Rye} that is longer aged and higher in proof. It is under $50 a bottle. It is on my hit list.

But first I am getting a bottle riser to better organize what I have.

prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-winands-of-maryland-and-pikesville.html

That’s where I lived as a little kid. I always wondered if there was a connection, but I never looked into it. There is also a post WWII housing development called Scott’s Level. Now I know why.

The store I work for is getting in a 6-year single-barrel store pick. Not spendy at all. In fact, just a couple of dollars more than piggyback 6-year rye.

not fond of bourbons that specialize in ripping out the back of your throat . . .
I do prefer “smooth”

MM46 with the oak aging is imho superior to ‘standard’ MM
Bulleit is to me also smooth - but got me well smashed with its higher proof… drinker beware . . .

1 Like

Been hitting a couple bottles of Four Roses that I had in the bunker, among many. These were from barrels we purchased several years ago.

They won’t last long :woozy_face:

1 Like

I really cannot remember the last time I had a Four Roses. I need to remedy that soon!

1 Like

I prefer Scotch for drinking neat. DH is the bourbon drinker in our household and a big fan of Redemption for everyday, both their regular bourbon and their high rye bourbon. I like their straight rye for Manhattans as well. A steal at under $30 for a 750ml IMO. For something a little spendier, we both like Michter’s rye and Basil Hayden dark rye.

1 Like

We love redemption! The rye and hi rye bourbon are pretty wonderful but I got a 9-year redemption high rye bourbon. So good.

1 Like