(Boston) Wilson Farms CSA

More dill ideas:

dill pickles! Man does that use a lot of dill, and you have the whole fermentation thing.
gravlax, if you enjoy salmon
tartar sauce- I use Rick Moonan’s recipe which is almost green from all the herbs, cornichons, and capers

1 Like

Thanks!

Zucchini fritters with tzatziki can use up some dill in the patties themselves and in the sauce. This recipe from Michael Symon is tasty (I serve it with tzatziki instead of plain yogurt.) I usually don’t have mint on hand so I use basil, oregano or parley and thyme. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/zucchini-fritters-recipe2-1957366

I also use dill in a quick mayo/sour cream/dijon sauce for fish.

1 Like

Good call! I love that recipe and have used as the basis of many a’ riff.

1 Like

Week of Aug 1st -

So we were out of town last weekend and going out of town again this weekend. So the pressure was too large - we gave 1/2 of our 1/2 share away this week. So the picture doesn’t show everything we received this week.

6 ears Corn
1 bu. Kale
1 lb. Green Beans
1 hd. Romaine Lettuce
1 Athena Melon
1 bu. White Salad Onions
1 lb. Summer Squash
1 bu. Scallions
1 bu. Kholrabi
1/2 lb. Baby Arugula

I still have the carrots, scallions, 1/2 the green beans, and a summer squash from last week. Maybe we should have given away our full basket this week …

3 Likes

Continuing my hijack of Thimes’ CSA post…stopped by Lexington FM on an uncomfortably hot Tuesday (yesterday). Sadly, FMs are not among spring onion’s favorite venues, especially when it’s that hot so I have to act quickly. I managed to grab a sourdough loaf from Bread Obsession and as-always wondrous greens from Flats Mentor (baby bok choy, Chinese broccoli, and yu choy). There was a woman in front of me at Flats and she was questioning the nice young guy about their arugula…“What kind of arugula is that?” He politely fielded her question, but all I could think was, “huh…do you think it’s some weird Asian arugula?” I’m sure the heat and chasing after spring onion was making me cranky, too. (BTW, their arugula is peppery and spicy, unlike yucky grocery store stuff). She acquiesced and bought a bunch. Their greens were as bountiful and as beautiful as ever but there were stacks of it at 4:30 pm yesterday. Check these guys out at your local FM. You will not be disappointed.

1 Like

I love the Flats Mentor greens. They are amazing, great flavor, pristine, something new to me interesting at times. Their greens are the real stuff and some summers, later in the summer, they have fresh lemongrass. The price is very fair and the Thai basil I bought on Saturday is still doing well sitting in water like flowers on my kitchen counter until I can use it tomorrow. I got some wonderful mustard greens and purple Shiso as well. Their greens and herbs are so beautiful that I’d use them for centerpieces at a dinner party before using them for cooking.

2 Likes

For some reason the Lexington FM is ALWAYS about 10 degrees hotter than anywhere else. It is not far from work and we sometimes duck out and go there and can never believe the temperature difference. Still, it is a really good FM.

1 Like

If you don’t mind the suggestion, could you start a more general farmer’s market thread, please? You’re posting valuable information, but many people are likely to miss it because they’ll see “Wilson Farms” and move on.

1 Like

done, great suggestion!

To continue the hijacking of the thread, I thought I’d mention that the Pennsylvania peaches were looking riper yesterday so I picked some up and must say that they were very good. I’ll be back tomorrow for some more. I think peach shortcake is in the future.

We have a new, general farmer’s market thread:

Can we please post non-Wilson-CSA information there?

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I should have been specific. The good Pennsylvania peaches were from Wilson Farm in Lexington, MA. But just from shopping, not from the CSA.

Yes, I did have a sense that they were from Wilson Farms, but, again, my fear is that information such as this might be lost to people who have no interest in the Wilson CSA. Since the thread title has CSA in it, my feeling (but it’s just my opinion) is that information about good stuff at any market, including Wilson Farms, would get the most exposure in the other thread. Again, just my opinion.

thank you for the market thread. I think it helps all of us. Whether we participate in CSAs or not or can even get to Wilson Market or not.

Totally good call.

Sorry things have been busy and I wasn’t here Tuesday for the pick up.

Needless to say … I have almost everything left from last week and have no idea what to do with it before new stuff arrives Tuesday. Ugh.

1.33 lb. Green Beans
2 lb. Zucchini Squash
1/2 lb. Baby Arugula
2 Tomatoes
1 bu. Garlic
1 bu. Cilantro
1 hd. Red Leaf Lettuce
1 bu. Red Salad Onion
2 Peppers

Nice counter.

(Nice produce, too.)

I’m trying to just have a new mental attitude about things. I’m not as upset about pitching things that I haven’t eaten and that are past their prime. I hate doing that but it is just a lot of produce - which is great in some ways - I think what I get each week is a great value for example and I think we get a great variety. It’s just hard to keep up. Thankfully I have company this week, so I should be able to go through a lot.

Week of Aug 15th

1 Tuscan Melon
2 Cucumbers
6 ears Corn
1 lb. Green Beans
1 lb. Zucchini Squash
1-1/2 lb. Plum Tomatoes
1 bu. Garlic
1 hd. Red Leaf Lettuce
1 bu. Baby Bok Choy
1 Sicilian Eggplant

1 Like

This is exactly why we stopped doing CSA. It was tough for us to keep up with the beautiful produce and it was killing me not to be able to use everything. Farmers markets and farmstands work out much better for us.

I trust you’ve seen this article but just in case I’m posting it here.

1 Like