Boston Market in the news

2 Likes

Worked near one many years ago and it was so wonderful to buy a whole chicken and their butternut squash for a hand’s off dinner…can’t remember the green side. I discovered that their secret to the squash was pumpkin pie spice.

2 Likes

My family got a lot of takeout from them when Mom was tired of cooking.

1 Like

I miss those mini cornbreads! The small pot pies were tasty too.

2 Likes

What does it mean that I didn’t even realize it was gone?

1 Like

Creamed spinach? The store version was great; the frozen supermarket version not so much.

Not entirely gone, but the locations are few. Their problems weren’t the food itself, but operational procedures. I delivered to a BM on my mail route, so often had lunch there. When they made sandwiches, they would slice the meat as each order was placed, and there was a language barrier with many of the workers. So lunch lines got too long for most customers. Had they simply sliced enough meat for a few dozen sandwiches at around 11 a.m., they might have avoided falling so far behind.

Same company as Einstein’s Bagels, AFAIK.

1 Like

Very interesting. I’m pretty sure I picked up a meal or two from them at some point but it’s been ages and just sort of fell of my radar.

As some one who once owned a sandwich shop the key to success is quick in and out. Sometimes food quality is not all that critical.

I had no idea they had even downsized. The locations I used to go to in Queens NY (and still do when I have the chance to go back) are all still there, 20+ years later.
Whenever I’m back “home” I’m in Boston Market at least once a month. Always the same order – 1/2 chicken, all dark meat, with 3 sides – spinach, squash, and stuffing.
I’m not a fan of what the new format will be with takeaway only and fried chicken. 30+ years of eating at Boston Market and it has always been eat-in except for when the original Newton MA location catered an event I was involved with.
Fortunately for them, I’m not their target audience because this sounds like the end for Boston Market as I know it.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that was a favorite of my kids and the baby sitter. I didn’t realize it was “gone” either. I’m going to check.

ETA; Yep; gone.

I asked daughter if that was the place she liked and she says " I wouldn’t say liked, but they had fries and Jell-O ".

Sigh. Can’t win for losing.

2 Likes

Wow, interesting news indeed. I actually thought they were a nice alternative to the usual fast food joint too. There is one not too far from where my mom lives, but like others, o guess it isn’t exactly a destination did place. If it were closer to me, I think I would do an occasional lunch or dinner run when needed.

I too enjoyed their corn bread, and the cinnamon apples were a guilty pleasure.

1 Like

And Mark discovered that if you crumbled the cornbread over the apples, you got apple cobbler.

3 Likes