Boston Magazine 50 Best Restaurants

[Boston] The annual list published in the November issue contains a few surprises, but the shocker is no mention of No. 9 Park or Menton. Is Boston Magazine punishing Barbara Lynch?

1 Like

What surprised you beyond the exclusion of any Barbara Lynch restaurants?

For those not in the know, as I was(n’t?) , here is the list:

I can see it, so I would so do you.

Not sure if B. Lynch not being on the list is intentional (and not sure I care?) but I do like the diversity of the chefs/menus/size/price points etc.

I would hope so do you

I’m a huge fan of diversity of pricepoints, but if a list says it’s the “best 50” it should tell us what the best 50 are, even if they are all outrageously cheap, or outrageously expensive, or outrageously all on the same street.

Of course, there’s the question of what “best” means: tastiest food, best experience/service, a combination of these?

Oleana, to pick a favorite of mine, offers an odd, two-tier experience: in the garden in the summer it is sublime, exquisite food harmonious with exquisite surroundings; indoors significantly less so (although that also depends on the company you are keeping the night of the dinner). In both situations, however, you will not get precise pacing of your food, or attention to folding your napkin when you leave the table. How much is that a factor?

1 Like

Not to seem tedious and pedantic, but they did say " Is a ranking like this subjective? You bet it is. After all, judging a white-tablecloth steakhouse against a crowded, dimly lit neighborhood boîte is like comparing apples to orangutans. That’s why, as part of the process, we looked at not just food, service quality, and how the place made us feel but also how a restaurant fulfilled its core mission. (Two more things: Restaurants had to be open before September 1, 2023, and had to offer sit-down dinner service.) It took a lot of debate—and maybe one or two spirited arguments—to get here, but this is our list, and we’re standing by it. So here they are, the top 50 restaurants in Boston," and with respect to Oleana, they specifically wrote, “The best way to enjoy it? With a creative Mediterranean-inspired cocktail in hand, sitting on the romantic patio (in warmer months), an ideal spot for date nights and celebrations.”

2 Likes

It is a very small dataset (n=1) and pre-pandemic but when we were still living in Boston and had visited Mentone (and Sportello) it was rather underwhelming. Upscale restaurants like Mentone, perhaps more than “casual” restaurants have to also re-invent/evolve over time. Mentone felt quite “old fashioned” but not in a good way. If you are going that route you have to be really at the top of the execution game, e.g. French Laundry.

1 Like

Aside from not seeing any Barbara Lynch joints, I was struck by how much more I need to get out :wink:.
Not seeing Fox & The Knife was also a bit of a surprise.

The commenter above who apparently was involved in crafting the list, with the defensive “it’s our list and we’re sticking to it” rejoinder either doesn’t appreciate the inevitably ephemeral nature of such lists, is enraptured with their collective acumen, or can’t be bothered to engage in the sport of debating the merits.

If it doesn’t engender a spirited debate, the list is not worth the paper it is printed on, or the drain on your battery.

Amen. One thing that made me happy about the list was the inclusion of Spoke, which we adored in its original incarnation (when owned by the late Felisha Foster). It had that neighborhood-y, welcoming vibe that we love. For some reason or other, we never got back to Spoke after it reopened. Hoping to correct that in 2024.

2 Likes

@youngho was quoting the last paragraph of the article verbatim before the list commenced, even putting the quote in quotes. Not sure they were involved in coming up with the list.

3 Likes

Happy to see all the Cambridge spots. I’ve been working for a Cambridge-headquartered comapny for 5 years now and my thoughts that it was the area for exciting dining is substantiated. So many place to try during my upcoming visits. Mid January will try Shojo and report back.

4 Likes

The photo of Spoke’s sunchoke donuts had me drooling. Thank goodness those stay on the menu, and thank goodness my kids love them as well and recognize the superiority of the savory donut so we can order them every time. (Well, maybe not superiority- can’t promise they’d pick them over a chocolate donut, but they are open minded little sprouts.)

3 Likes

On the whole, I think this is a good, considered list. I’m adding several restaurants to my personal to-do list.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. I sounded a bit cranky.

1 Like

We’ve all been there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Speaking of B. Lynch: https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/2024/01/barbara-lynch-is-closing-drink-menton.html?fbclid=IwAR22AqHuYUowEAqpGxqKWpyLo8biYspzdfBTcwcp9IjaWgRH3esR0GYo6V8

3 Likes

Whoa. From WBUR: “Menton, Sportello and Drink in Fort Point will close immediately, with 100 staffers losing their jobs. The Butcher Shop and Stir in the South End are under agreement for sale.”

Story here.

4 Likes

Second that “whoa.” The only Barbara Lynch place I’ve ever been to is No 9 Park but I was kinda looking forward to trying out her new joint in Gloucester for the hell of of it. Guess that may be in jeopardy, too.

The article says the Gloucester restaurant, Rudder, will remain open. Website says Rudder is seasonally closed until April.

1 Like