Boston, MA. Best breakfast sandwiches?

At some point, someone here mentioned a possible breakfast sandwich thread and I tried to cajole them into starting one. But they never did! (story of my Hungry Onion life). So, even though breakfast is the meal I eat out least of all, I had a couple early mornings lately where I stopped at Bagelsaurus before heading to work.

The first time I got the Eggspanola, an egg/feta/aioli/parsley gremolata offering. It was fairly good–the egg was cooked right, the sesame bagel as always was excellent, but I mostly found the gremolata to be overpoweringly lemony. The second time I went I went instead for the Hot Smoked on a poppy seed bagel and it was excellent. (It’s also like a cool four bucks more than the first one!) . Great tasting smoked fish from Boston Smoked Fish Co. on cream cheese , lots of fresh dill and red onion, a pile of vinegary pickled red cabbage. The whole combination is aces, and while I’m sure not buying eleven buck breakfast sandwiches too often, I have to say I’d get this again in a heartbeat.

Soooo, anyone else got any faves out there in this space? I’ve said before that even though I’m kind of lukewarm on Sweet Cheeks, I’d sure order up one of the breakfast sandwiches they serve on those awesome biscuits. Would love to hear about any other recs people have for this sort of thing.

3 Likes

Great idea for a thread. I’m a big fan of Bagelsaurus, in general, but not such a big fan of their salmon sandwich. I had one back in May that was particularly low on salmon and very high on thick dill fronds, pickled onions etc. I ate half, then messily deconstructed the other half, waiting for a chance to put a picture on display:
BagelsaurusSalmonsm
Try chomping through that dill stem.

I hate, for many reasons, to plug Hi-Rise, but their spinach-egg-bacon breakfast sandwich is rather good.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

We almost never eat out for breakfast either, but when we do, I’m a fan of the salmon bagel sandwich at Kickstand Cafe. You can choose between an Iggy’s or OMG bagel (I always get Iggy’s multiseed) and though I usually find smoked salmon too salty, whatever their source is, it’s not. It is a perfectly constructed bagel sandwich which is no small feat. It NEVER falls apart, there’s not too much of any one ingredient and it is very filling. Perfect to couple with a bike ride to work it off.

2 Likes

That has to be a mistake!

Yes, I agree that there’s a lot of variability in food places these days.

wondering what your reasons are not wanting to plug Hi-Rise. I haven’t been in recent years, but often enjoyed their food when they were still on Brattle St. in Cambridge, did not enjoy the attitude of most of the staff. Although the prices were a bit high (Darwin’s isn’t exactly cheap, either), the ingredients were usually of very high quality. I also loved their limeade. They usually quit serving it in September. I asked why and they said it was “too cold for limeade.” But apparently not too cold for lemonade, iced tea, iced coffee, etc. Maybe limes started to get more expensive then, but that sure never stopped them for selling all kinds of other things at high prices.

The attitude and their general unfriendliness are my major objections to them. I agree that their food can be quite good, especially the legacy recipes from Maura Kilpatrick when she baked for them early on and the food recipes of Eduardo Miranda who briefly left Formaggio to work with them over the course of their shortish-lived pizza experiment, Real Pizza.

oh my. I didn’t realize Maura Kilpatrick worked for Hi-rise. She’s now the chef-owner at Sofra. I did like their soups and sandwiches as well.

Yes, we have followed MK’s career with interest. She’s also the executive dessert chef at Oleana, and many of their most celebrated desserts (the baked alaska, for example) are hers.

1 Like

I remember a few wonderful desserts, some involving blueberries and corn. I have yet to try the baked alaska…that needs to get fixed soon.

I’m not a huge fan of the new large and fancy donuts, but at Sofra a couple of years back I ordered the special of the day, the brioche donut with chestnut filling and brown butter glaze. I took a bite and just started laughing because it was ridiculously delicious, one of the best bites of dessert I’ve ever had. She is very talented.

My husband and I usually grab breakfast sandwiches on Monday holidays. Some favorites include:

Area IV - eggs, sausage patty, extra cheese, caramelized onions and banana peppers on a house-made English.

Moody’s - Eggs, pork roll, cheese and spicy ketchup on English. I usually have an aversion to ketchup on sandwiches, but this one really works.

High Rise - there are several. The small one on a potato roll with bacon and cheese is very good and they have a couple of choices with omelets or fried eggs.

Flour - I really like the sandwich with souffled eggs, arugula and dijonaise, but my husband finds the dijonaise overpowering.

2 Likes

I don’t like the huge donuts (newish) either, but I had something that looked like a donut at Sofra a few year ago that was stated to be “passion fruit” and I loved it. Not too sweet, both crisp and delicate, and with a nice passion fruit flavor. The savory pastries are more of what I usually like, and I’ve found them all to be delightful.

2 Likes

I love the Popover Sandwich at Clover (haven’t tried the Impossible Sausage), and anything on the menu at Cutty’s. Was recently pleasantly surprised by the croissant sandwich from Tatte too - perfectly cooked egg. Also, haven’t been in a while but Mike and Patty’s used to have a delicious one.

2 Likes

Love Sofra but the place can get hammered - waiting 20 minutes in line for a breakfast sandwich sort of defeats the purpose.

Yes, and the breakfast sandwich is, or was (it’s been a while) fabulous, but pricey for a really small portion with no side.

Wheelhouse on Broad Street downtown has excellent breakfast sandwiches with interesting toppings like pimento cheese or homemade chorizo. Their burgers are also noteworthy including a breakfast burger.

2 Likes