Boston MA area opening/closings, January 2016

@fragolino That’s sad news about Mirim. The place was tiny, cramped, and had everything I ever needed for my college kitchen. Mom liked the place, too. I haven’t been back since my BU days when I lived in Allston. I hope the family lands on their feet. I wonder if the presence of two area HMarts doomed them.

spicy world on beach street in chinatown is open

that is sad news

Per DigBoston, Charlie’s Sandwich on Columbus reopens this Friday at 7a. I lived around from the corner from the original for a few years and really had a soft spot for that place. I can’t wait to try it and hope the reboot doesn’t disappoint!

between hours pc cafe on harvard ave in allston has closed

etc., etc. i don’t know what kind of “diner” is looking for this kind of food as a destination? sounds like the menu down the block at tavern on the square.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

as for the club part, the roxy, avalon and axis were in their prime decades ago. is central square a place for a “next-level” club? this sounds like they dumped in a ton of money for lights and sounds. dauber must talk a helluva game.

Just posted on chowhound too, let’s see who answers first :wink:

Just walked past the building diagonally across from the pickle on moody street in waltham. The building has been boarded up for a while, new windows just went in.

No sign or anything but one of the window frames had “waltham beer works” written on it. Anyone know anything about it?

The Waltham location of Boston Beer Works was supposed to open quite a while ago, not too long after Watch City Brewery finally closed. I don’t know what held up, but it will be good to see something in it’s place. I haven’t been to Boston Beer Works in years so I don’t know how the food or the beer is. Anyone?

There’s paper on the windows and a building permit for Feng Shui Chinese Takeout or Asian Takeout in the long-empty strip mall at the corner of Trapelo and Lexington Sts. in Waltham, the one with Starbucks and the new Game Stop. I can’t find anything online, but lights have been on so it appears they are working in there. I wonder if it is related to the Feng Shui in Chelmsford. It’s really close to my house, so I’d be psyched if it were something decent.

It sucks.

1 Like

agreed. Back when having a bunch of taps was super-exciting, and you couldn’t get good craft beer just about anywhere, it was worth occasionally braving. Although you’d always have to cross your fingers and hope to not get a dirty tap line pour. These days there’s just no excuse.

1 Like

the feng shui in chelmsford is pretty terrible. they have a lunch buffet which gets mobbed and also hibachi on the second floor. i think the lunch business is what keeps them going. parking lot seems only moderately full at night.

Bummer. Fingers crossed that they aren’t related.

double chin on harrison ave in chinatown is officially open

I finally made it over to Charlie’s and was pleased to find that it is pretty much the same. The interior has been decluttered a bit and spruced up every so slightly, but that’s about it. Still cash only. Same menu, one side is the exact same as the old menu down to the font, layout and content, and the other side lists some specials. Same food; my omelette was good if possibly a tad smaller than before and they still inexplicably serve it with a side of salad in addition to the home fries. DC’s turkey hash looked the same as their old offering but perhaps a bit more well done. Same glasses and mugs, though you don’t have to get your own water anymore. The prices seemed to be pretty much the same as well (less than $25 in total for 2 people). I feared the new owner would try to fancy up the menu and jack the prices, so I was pleasantly surprised. It’s not destination dining, but I’ve been going to Charlie’s for 20 years, so I’ll be back.

1 Like

This is coming to fruition. India Castle closes next week.