[Boston/DTX] Jianbing (Chinese Crepe) at Yum Yum Noodle in Corner Mall

So, I work around there and I noticed the addition there. Anyone tried it? Anyone has experience with the dish elsewhere for comparison?

-K

I’ve had excellent jianbing in Beijing and terrible jianbing by the Great Wall. (Bad enough that I threw it out after two bites.)

I’ve had one of the Yum Yum versions, with the long cruller (fried dough stick, youtiao) as the main filling. The cruller was a bit stale (fished out of a bag), and the other fillings were less varied than the Beijing variety (no cilantro, e.g.). But it was good enough that I’d like to try the Shandong-style version they offer, with the cracker (baocui) filling.

Yeah, I did enjoy it, but noticed distinct lack of cilantro that was mentioned in most of the recipes. But it was definitely a pleasure to watch the man work. Skill and care clearly showed he must have made 1000s before…

I also noticed, when I was at Kam Man in Quincy, that they are offering Jainbing (right hand side, as you walk into the grocery, next to bakery). Alas, I was full and couldn’t try it, but looks like they are invading around here.

-K

1 Like

The “Tianjin Style” food truck by the Chinatown T stop sells these as well.

I honestly think it’s just a fad for people who have had the dish on a daily basis earlier on in life and miss it for that reason alone, not because the dish itself is anything particularly astonishing.

That said, the food truck did a pretty good version of it (with the aforementioned baocui on offer, along with a few other additional fillings), and they also sell some well-regarded squid and chicken hearts at really low prices. I also tried the tofu jelly, which again is satisfying for those who miss it but not necessarily a revelation for those new to it. I soaked my youtiao/cruller in the tofu soup, just like old times, and it was a good experience.

hot eastern in chinatown and beijing cafe in allston also have jianbing on the menu

How do you like them?