Boston-area restaurant for 150 wedding guests?

Friends are planning a wedding reception for next year, looking for a restaurant that can handle 150 either in a private area or as a buy-out. Not formal or fancy food, would prefer traditional Chinese or something casual and Western, perhaps American, Italian or French-ish, but open to Houndish ideas for other cuisines. Range for dinner should be $50-$100/head not counting beverages, but they want a full liquor license. Not considering venues that allow private catering yet; if so, I’ll make a separate query. All suggestions welcome, thanks!

Our wedding was 10+ years ago, but we rented the Hampshire House. Had the entire third floor for both the wedding and the dinner. (Small wedding only 10 people total) At the time the price was reasonable, $1200 for the 3rd floor, plus we had to spend at least $2000 for food & drink. I believe our grand total with tip was around $3600. Third floor I believe can handle up to 75 people, 2nd floor 200, but you would need to check. Hope that helps.

You might give the Sheraton Commander in Harvard Sq. a try. Their restaurant is fairly large and they may be willing to close it down for the night. Also has a good size bar right in it. Inexpensive parking on site is a plus.
Enjoy,
CocoDan

I would consider Dante if the Cambridge side of the river is acceptable. You can’t beat the views and I think of it as a great venue for out-of-towners where the celebration is primary. Nearby parking is also helpful for a wedding-type event where there tend to be older guests and people unfamiliar with the area.

what about anthem at faneuil hall ??

http://www.anthem-boston.com/events

my reception was there, and worked well, but it was 4 decades ago…

Have been to several function there in the last two years and always done well.
Cocodan

My SO considered a party at Row 34 for a smallish group (~35 people), but it turned out the private room at Menton was less expensive as it didn’t require a buy-out. However the option of a buy-out at Row 34 for 150 guests might be worth exploring. Not among your target cuisines, but it’s a fun space and good food.

Four years ago my son and DIL rented the Artists for Humanity space at the Epicenter for 150 guests, catering by Season to Taste. Great two level space with urban art gallery feel, scrumptious food and really super staff.