Boeuf Bourguignon/Lemmings

I do not get your joke ?

It’s not a joke. Gullasch is Central European. Adding cream to a meat dish is not a thing Jews would have done for dietary law and then custom. It could be your own family quirk. It could also be about how gullasch/ goulash travelled to the North Americans.
Not everything about Jews is a joke. Not sure why you thought I was making one.

1 Like

I’m Danish, English is my second language.
Sometimes things get lost in translation.

Sometimes I see a joke where there isn’t one.

4 Likes

I almost always see a joke where there isn’t one. It’s why I’m almost always in trouble.

5 Likes

Keller writes, “Return to medium-high heat and add the clarified marinade. Add the short ribs, veal stock, light chicken stock, and bouquet garni. The meat should be covered with liquid; if it’s not, add more veal and chicken stock as necessary.”

1 Like

The method Thomas Keller is using there is stewing, not braising.

Merrian Webster definition:

Definition of braise

*to cook slowly in fat and a small amount of liquid in a closed pot

Notice the words ‘small amount’

Cambridge dictionary definition:

braise

verb

To cook food slowly in a covered dish in a little fat and liquid

Notice the word ‘little’

Difference between braising and stewing:

Jacob Burton culinary instruction video

Braising generally involves cooking large pieces of meat or chicken partially covered in liquid, while stewing generally uses smaller pieces of meat totally immersed in liquid.

1 Like

Claus, is it fun to correct people online? :slightly_smiling_face:

Many members here are accomplished home cooks, some are professional chefs, regardless of semantics, words chosen or cooking methods described.

Braise and stew are often used interchangeably in English when home cooks are describing their method, regardless of whether the terminology is accurate.

2 Likes

I don’t question or argue this, only described my (Keller’s) method. He, Keller, was self-taught and probably never read the Webster or Cambridge definitions.

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

Please feel free to correct me anytime.
I’m here to learn and would appreciate learning the correct terminology.
Thanks,
Olunia

1 Like

Look I’m just trying to get to the base of definitions here.

I personally feel I need to know the fundamentals in cooking in order for me to advance and improve my own cooking to get to the next level.

If everyone has their own definition of what braising, stewing and soups are, it makes it a bit difficult to understand what people really are making in their home kitchens.

That’s all.

3 Likes

Thank you, Olunia.

I’m still trying to get better at cooking.

My desire from the start of my cooking journey was always to maximise the limited talent my mother, father and god gave me.

I’m still a novice home cook.

My humble goal is to feel like a more accomplished home cook in maybe, if I’m lucky, 20-25 years, where I will be retired and can focus on home cooking even more.

I like to read other home cooks opinions and learn from their techniques and experience.

I find it easier to do this, when I know whether one person is braising something and another person is stewing something. It’s kind of important to me to know the difference in order for me to keep improving my cooking techniques.

If and when I correct someone, I try to back my corrections up with links and sources. So people know I’m not just making things up.

If I didn’t dislike shellfish and cheese so much, I would have been a pro chef today.
I grew up reading my mothers cook books from Escoffier, Bocuse, Roger Verges etc. so I guess I was sort of home trained in the kitchen from my early teen years.

Thanks for your understanding.

1 Like

I’ve since Googled a half dozen other European Gulasch / Goulash recipes, and crème fraiche or whipping cream is added at the end to a fair number of Gulasch/ Goulash recipes online .

It surprised me- I wouldn’t have checked if Claus hadn’t mention dairy.

Clearly not observant kosher recipes for Goulash. I have only had kosher paprikash myself. The Hungarian restaurants I’ve visited, where I’ve ordered goulash in Canada are either owned by Hungary Catholics or Hungarian Jews who are not observant.

Haven’t noticed if cream or dairy was added to the versions I’ve ordered in Germany and Austria.

I bet I can also find a Bourguignon recipe that adds cream at the end🙃

1 Like

If you Google even further I’m sure you’ll find a BB recipe, where they use white wine instead of red wine and fish instead of beef, and they’ll call it a fish soup :wink:

2 Likes

Well, doesn’t Bourguignon mean in the style of Burgundy? Chicken Bourguignon does exist. Tourists and Francophiles don’t tend to seek it out.

Here you go. A nice French Canadian recipe for a proper Poulet Bourguignon

2 Likes

Looks suspiciously like a quicker version of the very common “coq au vin” without the classic old bird (“coq”) and any chicken (“poulet”) instead. I’m not sure if “à la bourguignonne” is totally accurate or just a frilly recognizable label since very similar chicken stews are found everywhere in France.

3 Likes

Indeed, you’re right.

Coq au vin is a close cousin to BB, very close, but more simple.

I was joking about the proper part :wink:

I for one find coq au vin a bit boring. Have you ever tried poulet à la crème et au vin jaune de Jura ? A specialty of the Bresse region adjacent to Bourgogne. Admittedly, the vin jaune de Jura and the right breed of chicken are not easily found outside of France.

For those visiting Paris, Auberge Bressane near the Ecole Militaire in the 7th has it on the menu.

6 Likes

Again, thanks. This was one of the places on our list last visit, but we never got there. Quite an interesting menu. I think we’ll make it there this coming trip.

1 Like

Or chicken instead of your suggested fish and calling it Alsace chicken. And no questioning the generous amount of cream added at the end of this one.

1 Like