Black vinegar advice?? Shopping today

that is chinking vinegar
look at this site for uses but I only use mine for adding a small amount to soup , never dilute it
I use a different dipping sauce for m dumpling ( just plain soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic, black pepper, cracked and sesame oil if the dumpling is steamed)

1 Like

Nice-looking preparation!

1 Like

There’s a great book by Bruce Cost called “Asian Ingredients,” which I do not have ready to hand, but either from there or somewhere I recall reading that there were at least two types of “Black Vinegar.” The one you picture here is Chinkiang, which I think is preferred in most of Southeast Asia and China and is supposed to be somewhat more every-purpose than some other type made further north in China (which I have not tried).

1 Like

I wonder if he’s referring to Shanxi mature vinegar, which is in the upper left corner of the aisle photo.

1 Like

Yes it is chinkiang vinegar, that is what the OP indicated they purchased.

I’m certainly no expert in this area - what is the difference between black vinegar and chinkiang vinegar? I thought they were the same thing . . . . I’m learning from this post about some differences among countries (based on those ingredient labels) that I never knew about - but I’m not sure when the terms are interchangeable and when they aren’t. . . . .

2 Likes

I think it was the strong orange flavor I found especially off-putting. The additives seem to clash and detract from the vinegar flavor for me.

I see. I bought it to try to replicate some restaurant dishes that I thought I ought to learn how to make. The results - using that vinegar - were very close to the restaurant versions, so I never looked back.

1 Like

Chinkiang vinegar is black vinegar also called Zhenjiang vinegar ( based on pronunciation as there are many dialects in China)
Zhenjiang or Chinkiang vinegar is a rice-based black vinegar widely used in Chinese cuisine. It takes its name from Zhenjiang in Jiangsu province.
My mother only uses this for bird’s nest ship, shark’s fin soup, sweet and sour soup etc.
Here is an article

2 Likes

Okay that is what I thought - so I was confused when your reply to my post was “that is chinkiang vinegar” as if I had misposted.

No worries. We are all good. I just learn a lot about some cuisines on here that I thought maybe I was going crazy for a second. :slight_smile:

What a terrific reference tool: The Woks of Life.

Thank you for posting this!

Yep!

Thanks! It was really tasty! I had a bit leftover and added some chopped cucumber and smoked tofu to that for lunching which was maybe better than last night’s version

How is it most commonly used in Taiwan? As condiment or more as cooking ingredient…?

I’ve been informed that this brand is used for cooking, dipping and also to finish a dish.

As not many Taiwanese dishes are cooked with vinegar, the primary use is for dipping.

Hmmm. Well maybe I’ll try it on my next trip- my efforts at condiment reduction are a lost cause anyhow ;))

1 Like

If we’re talking about the red label Kong Yen brand posted above, you only have to make a trip to your nearest Asian commissary. :smile:

1 Like

I have the yellow labeled vinegar now, and I find it pretty good. I’ve also tried the Amoy brand, and it’s fine as well. I think the English label on that reads “spiced” vinegar, and this is the orangey/spiced scent that has been posted about. I don’t think I’ve tried other Chinese black vinegars, but I use the Zhenjiang vinegar for soups, dumplings regularly. My preferred vinegar for soups though is red vinegar, as it’s what I’m used to. It lends just a touch of acidity to the thick soups, like fish maw soup.

1 Like

The Taiwanese dark vinegar is different from Chinkiang vinegar. Used in different type of cooking, finishing or dipping situations. It’s more like Worcester sauce which I have used if I don’t have any handy on hand. Different region has different vinegar types depending on the taste desired. Just like the cooking wine, you have several different types.

It does make it harder to keep ingredients/condiments on hand at times, lol.

5 Likes

First of all welcome to Hungry Onion, hope you enjoy your stay with the lively discussions here.

Can you suggest how it can be used? What are the dishes it is usually used to associated with? I have a bottle at home, I’ve no hint what to do with it. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you naf.
That’s the dark vinegar I grew up with and always use when a recipe called for dark vinegar. And for spices and condiments I tend to choose from the US, Taiwan, Hong Kong over China produced just to be on the safe side if available. Didn’t try chinkiang till very recently.

I usually add it to vermecelli noodle soup (oyster, intestines noodle soup is a local steet food) or use it to dip meat buns with.

Key is to use the word 烏醋 in a search for recipes. Note they are practically all Taiwanese recipes.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=8CajXq_GK-WzytMPqOSsqAc&q=taiwanese++烏醋+recipe&oq=taiwanese++烏醋+recipe&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEANQp9QOWKfUDmCu5Q5oAXAAeACAAV2IAV2SAQExmAEAoAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

2 Likes