Black Sesame Seed gelato

https://www.99ranch.com/asian-snacks/sweet-paste/torto-natural-black-sesame-spread-jar

I havent tried this one yet.

Well huh. Then i guess it’s a chinese porridge/cereal sold at H mart?

Oooh, yes so many treasures waiting to be found at H mart! I always end up with several varieties of tofu, all of the mushrooms, and an new to me condiments among other things.
Having a jar of black sesame paste in the house would be hard for me to keep a spoon out of too!

1 Like

I haven’t done a good 99 Ranch or H Mart run in a while, I’ll have to remember to look for that.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it at my local HMart in a while. Walmarts in China carried it so I brought home a jar with me this summer.

That’s true. Thats why I started shopping online for the paste when local sources were inconsistent. But when I visit my son in MA or family in CA I find it easier than NJ so ask around. Sometimes store mgrs will stock up or add to a supplier list if customers will be back to purchase.

1 Like

Usually there is rice in it.

Don’t know about other cereal.

1 Like

Yes that’s a popular Chinese dessert. I wonder why they called this a cereal :thinking:. Sometimes the instant ones are too sweet. My favorite black sesame desserts are tang yuan with a not too sweet black sesame filling and black sesame rolls. You can find sesame tang yuan in the frozen section, but I like making my own so I can use less star in the filling. I’ve never seen black sesame rolls here.

1 Like

I have made black sesame paste at hime using roasted seeds and honey…tried it once. It was missing something but I used it in ice cream and liked it well enough. Big cost savings too.

I found these earlier today in a chinatown bakery- i LOVE them but not so many places sell it. Think it’s just glutinous rice and black sesame, not sweet. They’re rolled, maybe 4” long size at this place- made for a nice snack with some fresh soy milk from the grumpy grandma’s stand

1 Like

Interesting!

Saw this today and thought of you! I couldn’t rationalize buying it since i have chinese sesame paste, tahini, and god knows how many nut butters on hand already… sounds tasty!

Adding to wishlist😉

1 Like

Yes, those are the black sesame rolls! Lucky you! I love them. My mom did say she spotted this once at a restaurant, but I’ve never seen it. I’ll have to see if they can be still be found now. Those are great when slightly chilled and eaten on a muggy day.

There’s just one- my favorite!- chinatown bakery that i see these, and so funny you say that because although they are sold at room temp i always put them in the fridge a while before eating. I love the chewy texture and sesame flavor yet they aren’t hardly sweet at all. I hope you can find some!
For anyone in NYC it’s Lucky King bakery, they also have dim sum in steam cabinets and not sure what else because they don’t post it in english, something in a box over rice…