Black Bark BBQ [San Francisco, Fillmore]

Tried the brisket from Black Bark BBQ in the Fillmore, opened recently by the owners of 1300 on Fillmore across the street. You order at the counter and get a number flag. Lots of TV’s showing sports. Stacks of wood in the front, I wonder if they use it for the smoker. I ordered a half pound of brisket ($13) and also a small order of collard greens ($4). The collard greens were fine. I’m a brisket newbie, but I thought the brisket here was quite good. Very rich and tender, with flavorful fat and a nice bark on the edge. Three types of sauce on the table - a sweet thick sauce that had a bit of chili flavor, a thin red vinegar based sauce, and a mustard based sauce. Brisket didn’t really need the sauce so I didn’t use much. Came with a few pickled cucumbers and onions.

1 Like

Set aside that the brisket didn’t need the sauce, how did you find the sauces?

I thought the sauces were fine. Mustard sauce tasted like a thin slightly sweet mustard. The vinegar sauce was thinner but not as thin as vinegar, with a bit of heat. The other sauce was thicker and had kind of a smoky chili flavor with some sweetness. Maybe had some chipotle in there? None of them were especially hot. May have went better with the pulled pork or ribs.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold