Biscotti baking

Bookmarked this NPR article way back and was looking for pointers before I dig in. My biscotti-baking relatives are no longer alive to bake homemade batches and I never took notes. My Aunt and sister usually buy them now. Anise is my favorite. I do like them on the chewier side more than dry hard.

Advice?

2 Likes

Get a good sharp serrated knife to slice them. I’ve made lots - they’re kind of a PITA IMHO. But, good luck.

Thanks John. :white_check_mark:

You could read a lot of recipes, cross your fingers, and pick one…

I don’t know if finding good ones first, and then trying to get that recipe, would be faster or slower in the end.

The tiny serrations, or the wide type?

Look for a recipe with some butter, they will be softer than biscotti made with only eggs.

Some biscotti cut more neatly if wrapped in plastic for a day after the first bake.

3 Likes

Wide

1 Like

What I said there didn’t make any sense. I should have said that instead of reading lots of recipes you might eat good biscotti and ask directly for that recipe.

I made marzipan/almond/pistachio/chocolate biscotti yesterday (something I don’t do often), and came up with an old problem - the biscotti breaking up when cutting after the first baking. I used to use a ham slicer before, but it was never ideal; yesterday it just wouldn’t work. I then used my relatively new Mercer bread knife; great knife for bread, but the serrations are not fine, and I think the edges of the teeth kept getting caught on the nuts, and the slices kept breaking up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a proven knife with fine serrations, that will not break the bank?This would be a rarely-used knife so I want something comparable to the Mercer in cost (under $30 from Amazon).

The picture shows what I’m battling.

I wonder what it would be like if I just threw it all into the food processor. I’d lose the texture, of course, but would it cut okay and taste the same?

2 Likes

At first glance, I’d just process the nuts and chocolate a bit finer in the food processor using the pulse feature. For the almonds, I’d use commercial thinly sliced ones. I make a Greek style biscotti, called paximadia, in which I use the thin sliced almonds - works great without the breakage. Also, maybe just test cut using a sharp chef’s knife, possibly.

The recipe calls for halved almonds, but I used slivered. Using sliced instead is a good idea.

Interestingly, the recipe specifies that you chop the chocolate as fine as possible without using a food processor as it would then be too fine.

I will try a chef’s knife.

Thanks.

1 Like