Bilbao - Casual Places & Pintxos Recommendations

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for casual restaurants and pintxos in Bilbao.

Am going to:

Odoloste
Atelier Extanobe
La Vina del Ensanche
Nerua

Had Mugi Taberna down but unfortunately they will be closed for holidays when I am there.

Am doing more pintxos in San Sebastian which I recall is better. Are there any standouts in Bilbao?

Thanks

@mikey8811
For casual we like very, very much LOS FUEROS at Furors 6 in the Casco Viejo, not only for the creative small plates but also for the service and the pretty decor from the late 1800s. It was opened by Fernando Canales of Etxanobe and the chef is Paul Ibarra, who was the head of I &D at the original Etxanobe.
We discovered it after our Bilbao friend recommended it after our lunch at Andra Mari for something casual and easy on the wallet.

Try the prawns, ajili mojili, with a base of lemon and garlic. It’s known for its prawns. Or the cod fritters, bacalao con mahonesa de huevo frito
And the sandwich eFe with a secret sauce.

And there should always be daily specials. It’s moderately priced, receives a Bib Gourmand in the Michelin guide and comes Repsol recommended.

On the Plaza Nueva in the Old Quarter, for pintxos we like GURE TOKI. It has won awards for its pintxos.
VÍCTOR MONTES and CAFÉ BILBAO are the 2 classics on the Plaza Nueva. They both have outdoor terraces on the square.
In the Siete Calles area, creative pintxos can be found at BAR GATZ at Santa Maria 10.

http://bilbao-cafebar.com/?lang=en

For pintxos and cazuelas in the Ensanche (modern quarter) we like BAR EL GLOBO next to LA VIĂ‘A DEL ENSANCHE.

And to wash these down, try the Vizcayan txakolĂ­ from producers like Doniene Gorrondona, Gorka Izagirre, Itsasmendi.

For tortilla española and vermouth, we like BASTER on Correo 22 in the Old Quarter.

1 Like

MINA isn’t on your list?

It was initially but a couple of friends went and they said while they enjoyed the dishes they didn’t remember much about it.

do you like it?

Yes, but it’s interesting that your friends said it wasn’t very memorable.

The president of the Academy of Madrid Gastronomy, Luis Suárez de Lezo, just tweeted about his recent meal there (I follow him on X and Instagram) and he liked it very much. But the chef probably pulled out all the stops for him.

They said it was very seafood oriented and liked the desserts best

Luis Suárez de Lezo raved about the desserts too.

OK I’ll give it a try because I am a dessert person.

Did you do counter seats? I usually would but theirs look uncomfortable and I will have a bad back from the flight.

Yes, the counter seats for me are the way to go to watch the show in the open kitchen.
But I always do that if the restaurant has an open kitchen where I can watch them prepare my dishes…
like Sala de Despiece in Madrid
Consentido in Salamanca
Cañabota in Sevilla

If you like wine pairings, I fell this one is better value compared to others. A lot of smaller basque and Rioja Alavesa prtoducers.

Is the bar area or the restaurant preferred for La Vina del Ensanche? Can I order from both menus?

Thanks

We sit at the low tables at La Viña del Ensanche and order from the menu. I’ve never had the degustation menu. The name of the game for us here is anything made of Joselito jamón ibérico.

Thanks

My hotel tells me that bookings can only be made for the terrace or the workshop kitchen and all serve the same menu as the bar so I guess no complexity there.

Was just recommended Serantes which is a marisqueria. Any experience there?

Thanks

Yes, I have been. I prefer Zarate.

Zarate does look better with a smaller, more concise menu.

It is highly regarded, far more than Serrantes.